Nursery stock ninebark

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Somehow, I got it into my head that I could go on the MBS nursery tour without buying any trees. I only ended up with three, and it would have only been two if this Dart's Gold ninebark (physocarpus opulifolius) clump hadn't caught my eye.

Questions before pictures: it's in leaf, so "too late" for a repot, but it's so root bound that it is distorting the pot. I am itching to bareroot and get it into an Anderson flat. How terrible of an idea is this? (I still have trees just waking up)

I'm also torn on whether to prune to get more branching at the same time (my landscape ninebark buds back on old wood just fine).

It's not a typical species so there seem to be a handful of impressive specimens around, but not much info on bonsai training. Thoughts? IMG_20180521_070629.jpgIMG_20180521_070659.jpgIMG_20180521_070829.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would definitely repot. Just be gentle about how you do it, and don't reduce the root mass. But I'm sure the tree would benefit from some better soil, and water and oxygen flow.

For the first month after you repot, just keep an eye on it, and if you are expecting hot dry weather get it into some protection.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For bonsai, the "normal forms of the species are somewhat coarse, large leaves. The dwarfs with smaller leaves do seem better. There are at least 2 different small dwarf red leaf forms too.

Many of the same "shrub issues" as bonsai as viburnum, and other not commonly used species. Trunks tend to stay thin, less tree like, etc.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Tbh, I would have skipped it if the "grove" form hadn't been so prominent.

I tackled the roots yesterday. I had to take off a lot, but I tried to leave as many long feeders as possible.

Here's the, uh, mass. It was pretty solid before being soaked for 30 minutes. And then it only loosened up enough for me to be strategic about blasting with the hose.

IMG_20180527_171607.jpg
After a 90F day, it's a lot less pouty than the herbs I repotted yesterday, so hopefully it's not too angry about the root work. I did some minor top pruning to open things up (I need to encourage low branches as much as possible). I also took out some of the ridiculously straight shoots.

I want to see how this deciduous species carries deadwood, so I am leaving some in place for now too.

One of these days, I will learn how to wire in a tree without twisting the front around, I am not to bothered about the front being off in this Anderson flat though.

Substrate is equal parts pumice, lava, diatomaceous earth (Optisorb), and pine bark. Screened to 0.125in - 0.25in.

IMG_20180528_195439.jpg

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sparklemotion: I just bought a 1/2 price ninebark from Home Depot. Liked the trunk. Then I started digging through this forum. How is your nine bark doing? Post a photo or 2!

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sparklemotion: I just bought a 1/2 price ninebark from Home Depot. Liked the trunk. Then I started digging through this forum. How is your nine bark doing? Post a photo or 2!

Sigh. I'm not so sure about this one anymore. It seemed to make it through winter (outdoors) OK, but both this summer and last I've been struggling with browning tips on the leaves. It also had a pretty nasty case of aphids earlier this season.

I've made some attempts at lowering the canopy, but it seems dedicated to suckering from the roots as opposed to budding back on existing trunks.

Anyways,here it is today... IMG_20190729_184839.jpgIMG_20190729_184834.jpgIMG_20190729_184843.jpg

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thx. I'll figure out how to post a photo of mine.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had a beautiful ninebark last year that got attacked by borers. From the morning I first noticed it seeming a little wilty, to the tree being completely dead, was four days. I started this one this spring, starting with a nursery holdover that was four feet high, but cost me twenty bucks. It's now about 12-14 inches above the soil, and seems to be thriving save for powdery mildew due to our crappy, rainy weather. The "pot" started as a bowl my wife threw in a beginning ceramics course, and I punched holes with diamond bits for wire and drainage. Hard to see in the photo, but the glaze colors complement the foliage wonderfully. The particular variety is "Little Devil".
new ninebark.jpg

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
One of these days I'm going to crack the mystery of ninebark foliage color too. Yours doesn't look anything like what I think in my head when I think "Little Devil" (which is, I consider one of the darker, redder ones... but not as dark as Diablo). But then again -- my darts gold is looking a lot less gold this time of year too.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The picture was from May, and it's considerably darker now. It actually flowered during late June.

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't recommend Ninebark for Bonsai, they tend to kill of branches for no reason. I had a really nice one and one spring it was half dead, completely dead by the end of the summer. Have tried numerous ones. I have two left, maybe some day I will get to them and try again, don't look any more new ones. Here is the best one that passed away, broke my heart when it died, still not over it.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
One of these days I'm going to crack the mystery of ninebark foliage color too. Yours doesn't look anything like what I think in my head when I think "Little Devil" (which is, I consider one of the darker, redder ones... but not as dark as Diablo). But then again -- my darts gold is looking a lot less gold this time of year too.
Hey, Sparklemotion, I thought I’d ask about your ventures with ninebark! Is yours still alive? I have 2 I’m starting, and was curious.
one is darts gold, the big one I have no idea yet.
Mine are just starting to form buds (thank heavens!) later than all my other deciduous for sure!
Any thoughts?/advice?
Thanks!0F04E246-2FA6-45CA-946E-9FED2B964DB5.jpeg9386AAB7-4A5C-4645-8ED8-4E2C7B5F2CA5.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F628466-B688-4F4C-9766-751701B587DC.jpeg
    7F628466-B688-4F4C-9766-751701B587DC.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 22

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My little ninebark is flowering. Its a cool little tree, due for a cutback this summer. Wife bought it last year. Ill start training it this fall.

Attachments

• E3E0EB29-8AB7-40CD-96BC-C561821C7F28.jpeg
    E3E0EB29-8AB7-40CD-96BC-C561821C7F28.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 25
  • C06713E0-5943-4777-93BA-870F05B22715.jpeg
    C06713E0-5943-4777-93BA-870F05B22715.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom