Nursery stock sale

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Be careful with the roots on that cedar, I had two die on me with minimal work during repots.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I d hesitate on the juniper as there is very little foliage near the trunk. Be prepared for a few year of work to get it back in.

The cedar you bought.. check how heavy you can work the roots.
Yeah I’d like to use it to try out shimpaku grafts. If it dies, it dies...
The tree is pretty lose in the pot. I’m not too sure how tough I can be on the roots. I would assume pretty drastic if I cut off the majority of the tree. But looking for inputs, I don’t have much experience with conifers.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Be careful with the roots on that cedar, I had two die on me with minimal work during repots.
Gotcha, I want to expose the nebari and clean most of the soil and put it into some good substrate in a flat. Or maybe build something a little deeper.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’d take the employees word with a grain of salt. That’s not a blue rug juniper. And if that’s a blue atlas cedar it’ll have a graft on it down there. If you’re lucky it’s just deodar and will be on it’s own roots. Doesn’t look very blue so who knows

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’d take the employees word with a grain of salt. That’s not a blue rug juniper. And if that’s a blue atlas cedar it’ll have a graft on it down there. If you’re lucky it’s just deodar and will be on it’s own roots. Doesn’t look very blue so who knows
Blue point juniper, It very well could be but I’m not sure. And I’m hoping for no graft. Guess I’ll find out soon enough, there are some newer needles that have a blue tint but you maybe be right.

Reactions: GGB

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And yet it has the growth and branching habbit of a Blue Atlas. At any rate, it is a find.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Forrestford my bad, just reread. My coworkers have been telling me my memory is awful lately. Guess they’re right

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m not too sure how tough I can be on the roots. I would assume pretty drastic if I cut off the majority of the tree.
I was actually recommending being carefull. I had a deodora cedar that I killed in the frst repot by treating it like a juniper. It did not agree with me it could take it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are correct, blue atlas cedar.
View attachment 263845
She fits! Sorta...
View attachment 263847

View attachment 263849
View attachment 263850
I hope there’s a good nebari not too far down. 🤞
That is not a Blue Atlas Cedar, fwiw. It's deodar. Mediocre bonsai material. It's worth about $25. Can be touchy about root work. Had one for years about this size. Gave it away. Backbudding is an issue also.

I'd take a hard pass on the Holly. Broadleaf, evergreen holly generally aren't worth the effort to bonsai. Yaupon holly , a native North American species, is what you're looking for down that way. They make excellent bonsai, as do deciduous Asian varieties, which aren't all that common at nurseries...

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is not a Blue Atlas Cedar, fwiw. It's deodar. Mediocre bonsai material. It's worth about $25. Can be touchy about root work. Had one for years about this size. Gave it away. Backbudding is an issue also.

I'd take a hard pass on the Holly. Broadleaf, evergreen holly generally aren't worth the effort to bonsai. Yaupon holly , a native North American species, is what you're looking for down that way. They make excellent bonsai, as do deciduous Asian varieties, which aren't all that common at nurseries...
Well, in any case ill learn alot from this, if im able to work on it and keep it alive that will be a win for me. I did pass on the Holly I saw some exampes of some big "yardadori" but seems like a hassle and im not a fan of the sharp leaves. Ive got some Yaupon I picked up a month ago that looks promising just waiting on spring.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That cedar is awesome. But I have killed my fair share of them too by working the roots. To be more specific; they arrived as bare rooted plants and were probably dead before I got them. Before I could do anything, the woodworms and grubs had gnawed away parts of the roots and trunk.
One specimen took a year and a half to die.

I'd say a 1/4th bare root could be too hard for them. But 25 bucks.. Damn! Around here it's almost magical if you can find an non grafted one for less than 50 euros.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
here’s the tree after I cut in January
311F5DEC-494E-491A-96B6-4F097D412910.jpeg
Here’s the tree today. Repotted late Feb into pumice. I was pretty aggressive with the roots, mainly because it was so cheap so I didn’t care if it died... it didn’t! didn’t skip a beat and the color turned from a green to a blue. Gonna give it another season at least before I do any styling. Nebari is shit.
36B52DAA-B433-4177-B1E5-8145B6903D96.jpeg
AD46805C-E49C-4FAB-B0E8-319DE599B6A7.jpeg
sorry about the background... tree is heavy!

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here it is after it’s first styling. Needs tweaking here and there, I’ll eventually carve that deadwood but I’m using it for a guy wire right now. Don’t mind the ugly wiring 🙈I’ll get copper next year. Also it’s my first time using rafia. I definitely heard a few cracks as I bent.
Any help with future direction would be helpful.
This is my new front.C05A2315-6BDA-47AF-AC38-21639BDEC949.jpeg
1CF08617-2C9C-49CC-A558-59BACD9A31ED.jpeg
419DB9CC-9040-4AC1-B714-21899492D81A.jpeg
4C3874E9-9845-481E-9B7E-0C002F939A44.jpeg
DF9CBFB0-109D-483B-AB51-E2F4C234B0C6.jpeg

Top Bottom