Nursery stock "tried and true" stock for bonsai

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just curious...I never made it to the nursery over the weekend like I wanted to. By the time my husband made all his stops the nursery was closed...BUT...I just realized I need to head to Canton. (Over an hour away...for chinchilla food!) So while there...yep...I may get lost in a nursery or two...not sure what to look for...(something flowering I think...the girl in me says)

I wasn't sure if I could look at azaleas or not...if there is a particular specimen better for bonsai...I know nothing of them. Other than they are similar to rhodies.

Or one I admired this spring...that my niece has as a bonsai. I know they have shrubs possibly...
Pieris japonica also known as andromeda
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/shrub/andromeda/

Or should this wait until spring with them being native to my area?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, I don't think Pieris will make a great bonsai...their foliage is too large and just not pleasing to look at, imo (at least as a bonsai...in the landscape, it's fine). Also, I DO know that Pieris is quite toxic to dogs...this is one I'd definitely keep away from your "nipper".

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
I would suggest Pyracantha; nice flowering species in the Spring, takes root work very well. Can be difficult to wire (thorns) and somewhat brittle - but a good starter tree and not too expensive. Try and find a multi-trunk - just not a super straight tree. Good Luck...Tom

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fwiw, I don't think Pieris will make a great bonsai...their foliage is too large and just not pleasing to look at, imo (at least as a bonsai...in the landscape, it's fine). Also, I DO know that Pieris is quite toxic to dogs...this is one I'd definitely keep away from your "nipper".

Dave...they are both toxic being from the rhodie family...one mentioned a table...and I have a potting table with an antique window for the back...that I was thinking of using to display it from. High from quick mouth of my aussie. But thanks for the heads up!

I wonder why my nieces seemed portioned? Other than hers was a bonsai tree...not a shrub form. Hers I learned has sadly died. (They left for vacation forgetting to have one care for it) I read a few sites saying they made good bonsai. Hm-mmmm

Though...I still am on the wall...with your reminding me of the toxic of the plant...I have a rhodie in my no dog zone...she knows not to go off the flagstone in the backyard leading to the waterfall. The shrub is on the ravine side of the waterfall...quite difficult to get at.

Maybe I'll just scratch the idea of nursery hopping...I just know the nursery that brings plants to the mall...discount great amounts on end of the year stuff to not have to haul it back. I have a weeping Ryusen that is beautiful that came from there...and a lil'kim which reverted back to his genetic state and now...sadly produces large flowers. :( I loved its mini blooms when I purchased it...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would suggest Pyracantha; nice flowering species in the Spring, takes root work very well. Can be difficult to wire (thorns) and somewhat brittle - but a good starter tree and not too expensive. Try and find a multi-trunk - just not a super straight tree. Good Luck...Tom

Thanks Tom...maybe you bring me hope just yet! Sounds a lot like my bougainvillea...it is said to have thorns...though maybe mine is to young to produce them as of yet...also a somewhat brittle plant. Is it more of a pinch and grow method then? Or need of raffia to help the branch prior to wiring?

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I like azalea. I'd keep the tree and ditch the dog. But that's just me.

There are azalea and there are azalea. Small leaf size is everything.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like azalea. I'd keep the tree and ditch the dog. But that's just me.

There are azalea and there are azalea. Small leaf size is everything.

Lol the dog came first...and she is our family vacation/hiking dog. That we got for our kids and our family vacations. So that is hard to do...plus...just look at her!

We drove 9 1/2 hours for her...starting late the first day...and stayed in a hotel. She stays...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 26

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not to crash the thread, but we are an Aussie house too... Have two now, had a 3 pack before these 2. Got ours up in N. Ohio, both near Canton, different places. Where did yours come from?
Aussies are the best! My avatar is one of our 2 when she was a pup.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dave...they are both toxic being from the rhodie family..
I know...I'm a small animal veterinarian. I've treated two dogs after Pieris ingestion...luckily they just puked their guts up and didn't develop the more serious cardiac arrhythmias that can follow. I've seen loads of dogs that periodically nibble on azaleas with no obvious side effects. I tell my clients to not let their pets eat ANY of the ornamentals in the yard, but from my practical experience, pieris seems more toxic then azaleas, at least in dogs, and would be worth avoiding if ingestion is a possibility.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not to crash the thread, but we are an Aussie house too... Have two now, had a 3 pack before these 2. Got ours up in N. Ohio, both near Canton, different places. Where did yours come from?
Aussies are the best! My avatar is one of our 2 when she was a pup.

She is from Massachusetts but we met half way at a dog show in Coatsville,PA. I now know show breeders locally...back then I didn't and located her via contacts I made while researching the breed on a forum. A show breeder/judge referred me to the breeder I got her from. She was from Texas...by the time I got my husband on board hers were all spoken for. We are still an English Bulldog home as well...but will always have an aussie. She is extra special.

Do yours grin?

I know know Becky from Showdown Aussies...you get your pups from her?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know...I'm a small animal veterinarian. I've treated two dogs after Pieris ingestion...luckily they just puked their guts up and didn't develop the more serious cardiac arrhythmias that can follow. I've seen loads of dogs that periodically nibble on azaleas with no obvious side effects. I tell my clients to not let their pets eat ANY of the ornamentals in the yard, but from my practical experience, pieris seems more toxic then azaleas, at least in dogs, and would be worth avoiding if ingestion is a possibility.

That really is good to know. Yes I have a book "Poisonous Plants A Handbook for Doctors,Pharmacists,Toxicologists,Biologists and Veterinarians" it said for Azaleas it says symptoms of poisoning...copious salivation,nausea,vomiting,diarrhea,dizziness,and excitation as well as burning and itching skin and mucous membranes.

But reading further...it says 1 g fresh leaf of the pieris per kg body weight leads to serious poisoning.

It is the only one in the rhodie family mentioning the severity of strength of leaf...it also says how to treat them.

Better to pass...thanks for the heads up! Love my dog an awful lot...we also have small children come to our house...so nontoxic plants for that reason can not hurt.

Making me rethink my spring choice...the bud looks like a berry...and it is toxic!

Back to really reading the book I bought...to have it and have an accidental poisoning...would be irresponsible to say the least.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How about cotoneaster? I don't have one, but hear they are fun and easy.
Got our girl from DelRae, Barbara Wilson, she has a big name in the aussies up there. Our boy not such a well known place, (keepsake) but he's the best.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How about cotoneaster? I don't have one, but hear they are fun and easy.
Got our girl from DelRae, Barbara Wilson, she has a big name in the aussies up there. Our boy not such a well known place, (keepsake) but he's the best.

The name sounds familiar...I may have met her at a dog show. No longer do it...it is rather...boring. (Sorry if I offend anyone) My girl did amazing...took first and best opposite. Just not my thing.

And it's not always about a well known place. Just I wanted the genetic tests on hips/elbows and eyes done on lineage. Our neighbor put down a young dog to early over bad hips. I wanted to lower our risk of that.

The cotoneaster...the berries are not to be to toxic...but the leaves have been cause of poisoning to dogs. :(

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Just checked my poisonous book...they compare it to the cotoneaster...goodness! :(

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Guess I'll just take my book...and my smart phone...google the name and see if they are bonsai. As well...thanks for the suggestions...sorry I am shooting them down.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
What lilac is made into bonsai...anyone know? It is pet friendly... :)

I've only kept one (post my last move) and its just a plain old purple one I dug.

IMO Lilac and red alder are incredibly forgiving of leaf pinching and pruning. If you need something to chop at, both are your trees.

Long ago on IBC there were white lilac shown, taken from an east german nursery.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Potentilla and spirea are two flowering shrubs that are easy to bonsai and are readily available in your area. Lilac is not so easy to bonsai.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've only kept one (post my last move) and its just a plain old purple one I dug.

IMO Lilac and red alder are incredibly forgiving of leaf pinching and pruning. If you need something to chop at, both are your trees.

Long ago on IBC there were white lilac shown, taken from an east german nursery.

I have an old lilac on our other property...but figured it needed to be a specific one for smaller leaves. The shrubs on that property are extremely old and leggy. Has a beautiful old rhodie that looks like a tree though. Should I consider it next spring as an air layer? Or...go for the thicker trunk? There are many suckers there as well.

Off to find your post. ;) thanks!

Top Bottom