Nursery Stock vs. Pre-Bonsai

Chop_n_Change

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some differences with pre-bonsai and nursery stock can be grafts (most nursery maples are grafted on other rootstock and can have less that ideal transitions), and usually pre-bonsai are on their own roots, have some initial movement put in, and can be cultivars that may not be in the box stores like Sharps pygmy.

$50 does seems a bit steep for what it is (looks like an air layer or rooted cutting), but not out of bounds Depending on where you are. being in NY that seems about right. in the PNW when Bonsai NW was open something like that might be $20-30, but would usually have more movement put in early on. One thing to keep in mind is its all subjective. If you establish a relationship with some places you might be able to counter offer if you are also getting soil, tools, wire, etc. For every tree I have bought that I thought I overpaid, I have also found ”steals” with amazing character.

but IMO that box is waaay oversized for the size of tree. Not sure what’s going on there, but watch the watering!

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't think so but now I am curious. I think they tried to get him to consider the $350 one and he didn't bite. I hope that is the case because you can get maples like this on eBay for a lot less than $50.
I also believe this was the case. I think they tried to up-sell him, and he bought the cheaper tree.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have felt mortified if they just saw me cut 75% of the tree off to keep the trunk and 2 bottom branches and stuff it into my sedan.
I can imagine. The nurseries where I have done this, also look at me funnily. If asked, I usually pull out my phne and show them some pictures of bonsai, explaning that I indeed only need the bottom. In fact, I do ask at non-chain nurseries whether they have a backstage area with damaged trees, as I find it a shame to chop down their perfect trees if I only need the base. Often they do and you pick up trees for20% or their original price, just so they get their puchase value back. (Chain stores usually have a return deal with the grower)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Little did you miss. Often only difference between pre Bonsai/nursery stock is price. Many things did you see as others do. Why indeed suffer sticker shock? Keep looking back rows, damaged trees, end of season sales, etc. Patience! Unless rich or stupid always seek bargains. If having actual spare money on hand seek bargains on better trees. Always bargain for lower price. Always😉.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Little did you miss. Often only difference between pre Bonsai/nursery stock is price. Many things did you see as others do. Why indeed suffer sticker shock? Keep looking back rows, damaged trees, end of season sales, etc. Patience! Unless rich or stupid always seek bargains. If having actual spare money on hand seek bargains on better trees. Always bargain for lower price. Always😉.
Well. Sometimes I actually have seen good pre-bonsai where the nebari is well sorted, the root is already set flat ready to go into training pot. Those trees take some time to grow and are well worth the money. But then most of the time I just see a nursery tree mercilessly chopped at the wrong height and thrown in a pot then the price is tripled.

Last edited:

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for all the advice. I guess the search for material is as much a part of this hobby as the trunk cuts. I did have a chance last week to head over to a local big box again and picked up a few more maples for $15 each. They are all "unspecified acer japonicum" and each looks different. Trunks range from a little over 1" to almost 2.5" once the trunk was dug out of the mess that was the roots. Perhaps not the best season, but they got some much needed root work and were then repotted, one going straight into the ground (in retrospect, I should have put a tile or something under it). I tried not to massacre the roots - the goal was to excavate the trunk and clean things up. One of the trunks had some pretty bad scarring low down on the trunk and that will likely dictate that this guy gets his cut about 3 inches from the base.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Visited a new nursery last Friday and the owner was excited about the fact that customers were actually excited about trees, albeit it bonsai. Told us he throws out the saplings that grow from the maple trees out back every year (oh man!!) but that he would be more than happy to give these to us next season. He brought out some small shimpaku junipers - I got one for my son. He also mentioned damaged trees that he couldnt sell tot he public.

Top Bottom