Nursery Trident Maple

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Picked up this tree in March of 2017 from a landscape nursery for 45 dollars or so. I had wanted to try to air layer a branch or two to have some 1 in or so trunks to play with. After looking at it more I didn't find a new trunk segment that I thought would be worth air layering. So I just let it grow all year. I can't find a before picture and I didn't take one today before cutting it down. Since there are no low branches I cut it to the lowest 3 branches which are 20 in off the base. There were no visible buds lower on the trunk and I didn't want to risk chopping it too low, so for now I let it grow and gain some momentum and then cut the branches that are left back hard and hope for the tree to respond with something lower down.20180215_105415.jpg20180215_105417.jpg

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So the old soil line was right about where the trunk is still moist. I could tell it was tapering down to the roots and that's why I bought it in the first place. But I didn't expect the large roots to be 6 or 7 inches below the old soil line. The base of the trunk really flares out much more than I would have hoped for. The movement that I uncovered from below the soil is nice too. The base is 5 inches and the trunk at the old soil line is 2 1/4. I'm really happy with the base .20180215_105423.jpg20180215_113356.jpgof course the wind picked up so I tucked it up behind this fence for now.

Top Bottom