Nursery Vitex (chaste tree)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What, you don't have any Siberian elms?!?!??

Aaron
@aml1014 what the flip are you doing here?!?! ? I do, but they suck. Branches die without warning and it drives me nuts. I’ve got one that is still holding all of its branches but I’m trying not to get attached. It still doesn’t come close to the speed and vigor my Vitex grows.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@aml1014 what the flip are you doing here?!?! ? I do, but they suck. Branches die without warning and it drives me nuts. I’ve got one that is still holding all of its branches but I’m trying not to get attached. It still doesn’t come close to the speed and vigor my Vitex grows.
I sit back and read mostly nowadays, I don't comment often lol. And I haven't had any issues with my elms losing branches. I need more vitex for sure!

Aaron

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is like the 5th or 6th push of growth. Can’t wait to repot and work the roots a bit next spring. 8FCD7D64-BEDA-404D-BD0B-762788D4D30F.jpeg

Attachments

• 72AC135E-99AD-48F9-AB7B-C00F7F434C46.jpeg
    72AC135E-99AD-48F9-AB7B-C00F7F434C46.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 20

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Those and bougs for me... Full sun or they just sulk.

@milehigh_7 , I was wondering if you've ever seen the flower shoots droop, and whether you have any suggestions about what to do about it. My vitex (nursery stock from March) has grown strongly all year in normal, well-sifted inorganic bonsai soil.

It's just now thrown up some long flower shoots (about 3-4 inches in length).

But today when I got home from work, they were all simultaneously drooped over. As in, looking wilted. I watered it like I do every day, and then held the pot diagonally to make sure all the water drained out completely.

About 30 minutes later, they had all bounced back to being straight up. But now I can't decide whether it needs more water or less!

Thanks in advance.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Mikecheck123 may I suggest that you update your data with your country/location details. It will help people here to get a more complete image of your conditions :)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
@milehigh_7 , I was wondering if you've ever seen the flower shoots droop, and whether you have any suggestions about what to do about it. My vitex (nursery stock from March) has grown strongly all year in normal, well-sifted inorganic bonsai soil.

It's just now thrown up some long flower shoots (about 3-4 inches in length).

But today when I got home from work, they were all simultaneously drooped over. As in, looking wilted. I watered it like I do every day, and then held the pot diagonally to make sure all the water drained out completely.

About 30 minutes later, they had all bounced back to being straight up. But now I can't decide whether it needs more water or less!

Thanks in advance.

Yes it was my experience that they will droop strongly when the soil is dry and then perk right back up after watering. I usually saw this in the hottest periods of summer.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes it was my experience that they will droop strongly when the soil is dry and then perk right back up after watering. I usually saw this in the hottest periods of summer.
Awesome, and thanks for all your info! I was googling your posts at the nursery back in March when deciding whether this was a plausible bonsai species. Was happy to see it had big fans.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Awesome, and thanks for all your info! I was googling your posts at the nursery back in March when deciding whether this was a plausible bonsai species. Was happy to see it had big fans.

I'm a huge fan of these. Make sure it gets loads of sun. They will pout in shade.

Top Bottom