Nursery Vitex (chaste tree)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not doubt anyone about the plant and please, let me make myself clear.
Vitex agnus castus is growing all over Greece.
Take a look at the following picture, this is how leaflets of Vitex look like over here.
The color is also greyish not clear green.
Perhaps the case is this leaf variation which @milehigh_7 spoke about in post #13
View attachment 201732
I meant no offense in my response to you at all, and in general appreciate your response to this thread! What’s interesting about your image is the color of the petioles/stocks. Almost like a rosy pink. All of the large yard Vitex I’ve seen have this style leaf, long and slender. But I’ve never seen that rosy color. Very cool. Perhaps what we have is a bi product of genetic splicing and nursery propagation.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No, no problem at all! I did never felt any offense!
Just a precaution... Written word leaves room for misunderstanding, if you know what I mean :)
Regarding the rosy color, I think it has to do with the photo quality rather . This is not so prominent in reality.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, no problem at all! I did never felt any offense!
Just a precaution... Written word leaves room for misunderstanding, if you know what I mean :)
And then some. So hard to convey sarcasm through message, though I always try. ?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
For me the language barrier issue plays also a role because English is not my mother language...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Hartinez I hope you will not mind if I post my Vitex potensai...

IMG_8225.JPG IMG_8232.JPG

And some detail of the leaflet size.
Both red lines are 2,5 cm.
IMG_8233 - Copy.JPG

My problem with this tree is that it sheds some of the leaves. Green healthy foliage is falling off.
I moved the pot to a position where it is protected from sun and from wind (as much as possible) and there has been some improvement. But Vitex loves the sun...
This is a puzzle for me, indeed.
Any ideas?

Thank you!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
@Hartinez I hope you will not mind if I post my Vitex potensai...

View attachment 201855 View attachment 201856

And some detail of the leaflet size.
Both red lines are 2,5 cm.
View attachment 201857

My problem with this tree is that it sheds some of the leaves. Green healthy foliage is falling off.
I moved the pot to a position where it is protected from sun and from wind (as much as possible) and there has been some improvement. But Vitex loves the sun...
This is a puzzle for me, indeed.
Any ideas?

Thank you!

Full sun, even a hint of shade and they will start dropping leaves.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Hartinez this is very kind of you, thank you!

@Clicio I have no idea. Searching on the internet though, I read it can be propagated by seed and cuttings.
I would also guess there wouldn't be any problem in their cultivation due to climate in your place.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@my nellie I was taking a picture of something else and I noticed that these two Vitex from the same place have very different leaves. This species seems prone to variations which in my book equals fun!

View attachment 203826
Do you notice that the lower leaves yellow during the summer and drop? Or is it just a sign of too much water? If you’re interested the nursery one I have is for sale. After two weeks of rain and more on the way I just don’t think it’s liking it here.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@my nellie I was taking a picture of something else and I noticed that these two Vitex from the same place have very different leaves. This species seems prone to variations which in my book equals fun!

View attachment 203826
Very cool. With the development of mine moving along so quickly, I’m excited to add to my collection with more Vitex. I’m eyeing more and more urban yamadori that may need pursuasion to be dug. ?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Do you notice that the lower leaves yellow during the summer and drop? Or is it just a sign of too much water? If you’re interested the nursery one I have is for sale. After two weeks of rain and more on the way I just don’t think it’s liking it here.

I put up a new shade shelter this year which saved most of my plants during our very extended 115+ Summer. However my Vitex just hate the shade so I have one that is pouting pretty good. I put it in full day full sun 2 days ago and it is perking right up.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you for posting your experience.
It's first time reading for me and it is so very interesting all this!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I put up a new shade shelter this year which saved most of my plants during our very extended 115+ Summer. However my Vitex just hate the shade so I have one that is pouting pretty good. I put it in full day full sun 2 days ago and it is perking right up.
I think my vitex take heat/droight by far the best of any of my trees.

Aaron

Top Bottom