Nursury citrus tree for bonsai

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Saw this citrus tree in nursery today.
Base and trunk look very nice but graft is mid trunk and although it has no bulge the difference between the two parts is very obvious.
Would you go for it for the base and live with the flawed trunk ?
Screenshot_20200904-105937_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200904-105917_Gallery.jpg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally I don’t like the really solid line with the slight bulge between the two tones. I’m not experienced and still a total newb but I am wondering if maybe a bit of carving later on can just help to distract from it?

@sorce seems to be a bit of a guru, any idea?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Citrus in general can be difficult to keep as potted plants. Might be better in your climate but I would pass on that one.

Rgawed

Seed
Reaction score
I've kept citrus in plastic whiskey barrels for 12 years (zone 9a )... just sayin.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I enjoy citrus trees... and see NO problem with “containerizing” them.. I just personally don’t grow them well. 🤣.
I've kept citrus in plastic whiskey barrels for 12 years (zone 9a )... just sayin.
Absolutely! They like it in zones like this! I’m in 5a, and I know people with enormous lemon and orange trees thar live 6 months indoors.. just window light.. i PERSONALLY suck at citrus.

This is a mandarin orange.. sprouted in March.E69A8C26-107F-43B4-9AF0-FC1B0B871A71.jpeg

As to the “Go for it for the base and live with flawed trunk inquiry.”..

...if I had the means (disposable income) I would buy it and JUST use the rootstock.. develop some of those little chutes and see what that top is grafted TO... this would be a long term project, balancing/transitioning to your new canopy..

If I was considering using the top integrated into my overall design, as it looks to be a fairly pricy investment..... I personally might pass.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No, rootsock is more likely Ponceris, unlike commercial orchard stock. Citrus should be easy for you, wait for one with fewer anti-bonsai characteristics. You don't have to marry the first girl you meet.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No, rootsock is more likely Ponceris, unlike commercial orchard stock. Citrus should be easy for you, wait for one with fewer anti-bonsai characteristics. You don't have to marry the first girl you meet.

Nice! Looking up and reading on all these citrus has been fun.

Tasty information.

🤓

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why not air layer the top portion? Even if it doesn't take, the rootstock alone looks worth buying

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How much is it?

If not the orange they mentioned its likely trifoliate orange rootstock, which I think is also nice.

I think the trunk is worth it depending on price. But, it would be a long project as you would have to airlayer off the top and then regrow the entire canopy. It may also have some dieback. Depending on price its worth it, I think it has a nice muscley trunk that takes time to grow for citrus.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
How much is it?

If not the orange they mentioned its likely trifoliate orange rootstock, which I think is also nice.

I think the trunk is worth it depending on price. But, it would be a long project as you would have to airlayer off the top and then regrow the entire canopy. It may also have some dieback. Depending on price its worth it, I think it has a nice muscley trunk that takes time to grow for citrus.

Theyre asking for 350 for it which i believe is a fair price looking at the age in the trunk. I'm guessing this will be a very long project. I'm trying to find info about die back for citrus as it is a concern. Some trees have rings they die back to after a chop, apparently citrus doesn't. Am also wondering if I'll have to wait for growth on lower trunk before I can chop. Finally I'll be ending up with a huge scar that I'm not sure how citrus heals.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
$350 and you'd chop it? Not a good use of money. As a producing fruit tree for your patio, probably fairly priced, but not for an air layer or plain chop. Although, I just looked again and it doesn't have enough foliage to produce much fruit for the caliper of the trunk. That looks like a ~6 or 7 gal pot. Keep shopping.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pass, pass, pass🤪. Much better trees to be found and half the fun hunting.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
$350 and you'd chop it? Not a good use of money. As a producing fruit tree for your patio, probably fairly priced, but not for an air layer or plain chop. Although, I just looked again and it doesn't have enough foliage to produce much fruit for the caliper of the trunk. That looks like a ~6 or 7 gal pot. Keep shopping.
Yeah felt like a lot of money for a very uncertain outcome.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
for 350 I would pass this any day. No need wondering. 350 is nice for a trunk that has good characteristics, and no obvious large chops. This will however not result in a good bonsai in the medium term, so spend your money better.

Top Bottom