nusery stock pomegranate new beginnings

Mr Fever Tree

Seedling
Reaction score
this pomegranate bought 3 months ago stood 4ft high. i removed its bag trimmed excess root growth, and when to town on the top growth bringing it down to less than a ft and placed it in a growing pot which is where she will reside for the next year or two.

this pic was taken about 2 months after all the work was carried out and the tree seems to be taking well to its new ramification project! and as usual excitement rules us and yip i did not pull out the cam to take pic's before i started at this one folks.......whoops

would be posting progress of this fruity every 6 months or so..

....advise and ideas are really welcome here with this one....:)

Attachments

• bonsai_ 037a.JPG
    bonsai_ 037a.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 130

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You've got some pretty significant reverse taper from your bar-branches at the bottom of the tree. You should remove either the left or right branch, or this will only get worse.

- bob

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Good call Bob, fortunately pommies backbud really well.

Hey what do you all think about removing those crossbars completely and re-growing and letting the trunk thicken for awhile then chop about where the second pic shows then grow again to get some taper?

Attachments

• pomeVirt1.jpg
    pomeVirt1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 57
  • pomeVirt2.jpg
    pomeVirt2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You'd get more movement in the trunk by leaving either the left or right branch and removing the other + the central trunk. I'd go with keeping the right branch and getting rid of the rest.

Here's a very rough virt. I also rotated the trunk to the left.

- bob

Attachments

• pom.JPG.jpg
    pom.JPG.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 36

Mr Fever Tree

Seedling
Reaction score
just a few more angles here.

Attachments

• bonsai_ 003a.JPG
    bonsai_ 003a.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 42
  • bonsai_ 004a.JPG
    bonsai_ 004a.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 39
  • bonsai_ 005a.JPG
    bonsai_ 005a.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 35

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd get rid of the laft-hand branch. It is the main creator of the bulge where the three branches diverge, and the angle between the trunk and the right-hand branch is much niceer. It might even turn into a nice twin trunk, despite the fact they diverge a bit high on the trunk.

Mr Fever Tree

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks all ...ive read, looked, read and looked once more and YES.. away with the thorn on its side. Im thinking go with the twin trunk sounds good...Airlayering next season and problem hopfully solved.

any other ideas before i burn this thorn...LOL :D

Top Bottom