Nuts, need your expert counsil. Would you buy it?

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello Bnuts. I was down a a garden center today and there was this pinus nigra that caught my eye. It has the most dubious trunk base i have ever seen. The problem is that i have no clue if the tree can be reduced enough to be worth it. Also no desgn comes to mind looking at it.
Would you spend 100$ on the thing? Pics below.
20160916_172555.jpg 20160916_172549.jpg 20160916_172545.jpg 20160916_172532.jpg 20160916_172524.jpg 20160916_172519.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That base is not bad and if it continues to flare out it could be a good buy for something unique , for 100$ i'm not sure as it need some tlc and repotted. Talk to the manager and get a discount, Anytime I make a point to ask I usually get something like 25% off.

Edit: on second look the branches are low too so it could work but how skilled are you with pines, and these guys can be a bit fussy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not buy that. Roots are a mess and it looks like it's planted in cement. Also, don't confuse weird for attractive. Those roots are just weird and would take a very long while to sort out. Not worth $100, maybe $25 or less.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For $100 you could probably get some nice pine pre bonsai that might not be that large, but would develop much better in far fewer years.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Something like this "could" be trusted into something interesting. There is good flair at the nebari. Some issues, too. But they can be pruned off.

I would see it as a grafting project. Take some scions from the foliage above, and graft it way down low.

Not for the beginner, however. If what I just said scares you, pass. If it excites you, buy it!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honest I see a nice smaller tree in there. But I would avoid it as there is a lot more work then I have left in me for it... If you want to work it by all means get it but that price seems a bit high...

Grimmy

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm no expert but looks gigantic and needs massive work (roots/height/compact). I think there are more prepared tree's to be found for 100, but maybe not as fat.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
if in doubt (esp. at a price that is not cheap), then pass

more and more the only trees that I buy I literally can't believe that I actually get to take them home. if you're not as excited about it as that, pass.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Expensive and risky. It needs to be get to bonsai soil. The top should be reduced and the lower branches do not look too viable. Not a short time and safe investition.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, first of all there is a graft union which is a minus. Second austrian pines have very large needles which will not work with the smaller size that you are envisioning as the final tree another minus. Third it appears there is a lack of interior buds and nigra do not do much in the way of adventitious budding. Another minus. So the positives are it's alive and has weird roots. I'd spend my hundred dolla elsewhere but I'm a cheap sob anyway.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The real issue is if you think this tree is within your skill level to deal with competently. There are some nice things, but Austrians are difficult to work with. I have only once seen a good bonsai made of one; there was one at the National Show that was pretty nice.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Doug... Sleeping on it. Thanks guys for the objective feedback. Probably not going to take the risk with all the flaws you pointed out. Maybe if i can get them to go a lot lower with the price.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Buy only to regraft.

Top Bottom