NV 9A Indoor Fukien leaves nearly gone

bobsai

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I purchased my first bonsai January 13th and it looked amazing [pic 1], lots of very green leaves with the cat's tongue texture [pic 2]. I am using Green Green fertilizer biweekly in a pretty loose soil [pic 3]. I water when the top soil is dry, every 1-2 days, I have an artificial light set up (CFL, Full Spectrum, amazon link: https://tinyurl.com/y2f5k9dy) and a humidity tray, but in the last 3 weeks my Bobsai friend has shed majority of its leaves and the remaining ones droop [pics 4,5]. Advice? Thank you!

Attachments

• bobsai A.JPG
    bobsai A.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6871.JPG
    IMG_6871.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6868.JPG
    IMG_6868.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 21
  • bobsai 1.jpg
    bobsai 1.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 20
  • bobsai2.jpg
    bobsai2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 21

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your conditions are just too different from where the tree came from. It was raised in the best of conditions, to be sold. It's not dying, it's just responding to your lesser conditions which are like an autumn, and going to sleep. As it loses more leaves on it's way to being completely denuded it will use less water. Not no water, just a lot less. Keep watering when the surface is dry to the touch, keep it in the light conditions you want to keep it, except it looks like you have blinds on the window. FT likes a lot more light than it's going to get unless or until you draw those blinds all the way up to the ceiling. The most common reason for houseplant demise is: Ta Da-a-a, choosing a plant that has requirements you can't provide. Watering wrong is close second.

Don't feed a plant that is not in growth mode. Winter is not a growth period. When you see buds expanding in the axils, begin feeding again. It will be, soon enough.

Top Bottom