NY's Smaller JBP thread

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No thread on this one yet so I figured I'd start one because this is a bonsai forum and I believe most people want to come here and see trees. Tree was purchased off ebay i think maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It came from Muranaka in Cali and frankly I think it is one of the better offerings he has had on ebay over the past few years. I have another larger one from them and have had good luck with it. Tree arrived healthy and with no surprises. I didn't keep the best records but have some photos to show the direction it's taken over some the past few years.

I believe this is the first or second year after purchase. The trunk has a gentle curve. I ultimately settled on a front that i liked the most but doesn't show any trunk movement.
IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG

Pic below is from after first wiring trying to move things into place.
IMG_0491.JPG

And the following year in spring.
IMG_0890.JPG

If i remember correctly i decandled and this was sometime later in the season.

IMG_1128.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Always nice to see material that looks like what I can afford at this stage in the game coming along. I'm always interested in these threads that show stuff just a bit better than what I have on my benches. Looks like its coming along nicely.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After needles pulled that fall and some additional wire.

IMG_1168.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg

and another shot from the next year after a repot, circular only because it's what i had on hand.
IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

I decandled again this year and the tree is responding very well looking healthy and ready for wire again this fall. I think after pulling needles, cleaning it up and adding some wire this fall it should really be looking really nice. Here is a pic from a few weeks ago looking happy.

IMG_3030.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Must question choice of front. Personally always make rest of tree fit with best view of trunk. Most want best trunk view possible as far as what I see here. While development is good so far tree has uninteresting straight trunk and predictable vanilla triangle outline;).

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Must question choice of front. Personally always make rest of tree fit with best view of trunk. Most want best trunk view possible as far as what I see here. While development is good so far tree has uninteresting straight trunk and predictable vanilla triangle outline;).

And since he's only showed one front fully, how can you question his choice? You have no idea what the other views are like and what the nebari is like on the view with the curve. You bring absolutely no value to this forum, not even comedic value, and personally I wish you would just leave. Or at least show some of your work. If you even have any. Unfortunately, I know neither of those things will ever happen and we'll all just have to continue putting up with your bullshit.

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And since he's only showed one front fully, how can you question his choice? You have no idea what the other views are like and what the nebari is like on the view with the curve. You bring absolutely no value to this forum, not even comedic value, and personally I wish you would just leave. Or at least show some of your work. If you even have any. Unfortunately, I know neither of those things will ever happen and we'll all just have to continue putting up with your bullshit.
Couldn’t have said it better myself @VAFisher . I feel like every time I see @Potawatomi13 comment it’s of criticism with little to no value, and have yet to see an original tree or post of his own. I don’t know, maybe I’m not on here often enough, but something tells me he doesnt post much of his own work. 🤷🏼‍♂️ GTFOH

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Couldn’t have said it better myself @VAFisher . I feel like every time I see @Potawatomi13 comment it’s of criticism with little to no value, and have yet to see an original tree or post of your own. I don’t know, maybe I’m not on here often enough, but something tells me you don’t post much of your own work. 🤷🏼‍♂️ GTFOH

To my knowledge, he's never posted a tree. Not once.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You have the makings of a very nice “informal formal black pine”! Lol!!! I have one. Where the trunk is straight as viewed from the front, but has a forward lean. A true “Formal Upright” has no movement at all. Straight up like a Christmas Tree. They’re very rare, at least, the good ones are.

For this style, the branches should be kept straight, with alternating sub-branches. Try, when bending them down, to have the bend be right at the junction of branch and trunk. Any “rainbow curve” is a fault. The way to do this is illustrated here;

0E512D24-74AD-49B2-B330-A58941227EF6.jpeg

Fig. 16 shows how to attach a piece of rebar under the branch, then you can pull the end of the rebar down with a guy wire. Leave about 1/2 inch gap between the rebar and trunk when tying the rebar in place.

Using the guy wire without the rebar will create a rainbow arch.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pots, I know you think you’re being helpful. Yes, we all know you love the yamadori bonsai from the Pacific Northwest. But, guess what? Not all bonsai are Pacific Northwest yamadori! Ask your idol, Ryan Neil how many Pacific Northwest yamadori did he work on when he was Kimura’s apprentice. I’ll tell you: zero! He did work on Japanese yamadori. And also stock grown from nursery stock.

There are many styles of bonsai. NY has taken this rather modest little JBP, and has made an attractive little tree. And I can tell it’s on its way to be quite nice.

You, on the other hand, are on your way to becoming Bolero.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pots, I know you think you’re being helpful. Yes, we all know you love the yamadori bonsai from the Pacific Northwest. But, guess what? Not all bonsai are Pacific Northwest yamadori! Ask your idol, Ryan Neil how many Pacific Northwest yamadori did he work on when he was Kimura’s apprentice. I’ll tell you: zero! He did work on Japanese yamadori. And also stock grown from nursery stock.

There are many styles of bonsai. NY has taken this rather modest little JBP, and has made an attractive little tree. And I can tell it’s on its way to be quite nice.

You, on the other hand, are on your way to becoming Bolero.

He's much worse that Bolero. At least Bolero posts his work.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have the makings of a very nice “informal formal black pine”! Lol!!! I have one. Where the trunk is straight as viewed from the front, but has a forward lean. A true “Formal Upright” has no movement at all. Straight up like a Christmas Tree. They’re very rare, at least, the good ones are.

For this style, the branches should be kept straight, with alternating sub-branches. Try, when bending them down, to have the bend be right at the junction of branch and trunk. Any “rainbow curve” is a fault. The way to do this is illustrated here;

View attachment 260233

Fig. 16 shows how to attach a piece of rebar under the branch, then you can pull the end of the rebar down with a guy wire. Leave about 1/2 inch gap between the rebar and trunk when tying the rebar in place.

Using the guy wire without the rebar will create a rainbow arch.
May I ask, why does the rebar go on the bottom? Doesn't that leave the crotch open to separation from the trunk? Well, I guess it would be the same if it was on top.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
May I ask, why does the rebar go on the bottom? Doesn't that leave the crotch open to separation from the trunk? Well, I guess it would be the same if it was on top.
If you get a separation on the top, no big deal. Put some cut paste there, and it’ll callous over. The lifeline is more important on the underside. That’s the direct line between the branch and the roots. Don’t sever that!

John Naka’s Goshin forest all had broken-into-place-and-wired branches. In the old days they used to place a pebble in the open area to help hold it, and the tree would callous over it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good old Potty.
Never a dull moment.
Hasn't learned that trees grow in triangle shapes naturally.
More than likely jealous of this nice tree and the great work put into it.
Like Bolero he knows nothing but in his mind is a master.
It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round I guess.
I would never want Potty to go away though.
His entertainment value is through the roof.

Top Bottom