Nyssa sylvatica - black gum

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never come across one. Some years ago I got a few seedlings from somewhere but for some reason they didn't make it. Might have to try again, the fall color on those can be amazing. We had one on our front lawn growing up...it eventually got too big for the space and was removed, unfortunately.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guy Guidry had an extremely fine one for sale on ebay about ten years ago. Developed from a big collected swamp stump. I have been kicking myself for not making the stretch to get it. I think Zach Smith has also collected this species.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do the leaves reduce well enough, or is it one of the better as a big tree type? I have a couple in the landscape, they sure do nice fall color.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been considering nyssa sylvatica since spring. "New world bonsai"? the ebay seller, who I thought was Don Blackmond, but now am confused .. was selling a very young one this summer. Haven't seen any good pics so I kind of just bailed on the idea. Maybe if a young one was grown out in a large pot it would solve the "tough collection" problem.
I have enough experimental swamp trees in my tiny yard but certainly keep us posted

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also have a young one in the garden and find that the branches have a natural arching habit that we need. Plan to let it go another 1-2 years, then see what I can do with it.
Awesome fall color!
CW

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've tried to collect them but to no avail. They seem to have few feeder roots and a large tap root. Maybe trenching and two year collection plan would be best. I have a dozen whips to play around with now but plan on trying to collect more this spring.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Blackgum, kin to the dogwood, is not an easy species to work with, at least in my experience. I haven't attempted to collect them from the wild, but have heard it's very difficult. The fall color is nice, even in the deep South. Farther north the red is stunning. Pepperidge is another common name for the species.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have recently seen a few landscape trees and thought they might be good. That is my reason for asking.

I hear what you’re saying. I’ve seen many in the wild and one on a college campus with very unique trunk(s). It appears they will make uniquely contorted shapes even with no competition around.

The Angiosperm Phylogeny Group IV recently split Nyssa from Cornaceae into its own family Nyssaceae (37 spp. 5 genera) in 2016...I believe this was primarily based on the distinctive genetics

Reactions: GGB

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
Has anyone tried working anymore with these? I was able to collect one back in March and it is slowly starting to bud out and make leaves. Just trying to get a little more info on do’s and don’ts for this tree.

Top Bottom