Nyssa Sylvatica - Something different

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
I purchased these Nyssa Sylvatica, also know as Black Gum prior to the snowpocalypse we had at the beginning of the year. I was attracted to the elegance and fine branching. After finding pictures online on ancient specimens, I was able to find a design that appears to be unique and achievable with the material. Also, Black Gums are known for the amazing autumn color.

First photo are the trees as purchased in January. At that time I had a slight idea what I wanted to do. Second photo is repotting and creating a tree tree composition, it had no definitive direction and wanted to just focus on health, so the tree were left to grow and no techniques were applied. Third photo shows the tree during the fall without leaves. Some time during the fall I had a clear vision on how to design the trees.

Fourth photo shows the initial styling. I wanted to create a sense of drastic movement but at the same keep the elegance of the material. Next year the main focus will be response to increase ramification.

IMG_5823.jpeg

DSC06907.JPG

DSC07761.JPG

DSC07770.JPG

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Repotted as it’s buds had started swelling. The air-pot did increase fine roots. I preserved the majority of the root mass but did reduced some from the center of the tree. Created a mound to offset movement and visual mass of the canopy, not the most popular/traditional but it works. Included about 10% kanuma as these trees live in bogs and acidic conditions. Next steps are going to take 3-4 years, increase fine ramification.

3FD0ED25-92EE-476D-BB9F-3D84180054B8.jpeg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Repotted as it’s buds had started swelling. The air-pot did increase fine roots. I preserved the majority of the root mass but did reduced some from the center of the tree. Created a mound to offset movement and visual mass of the canopy, not the most popular/traditional but it works. Included about 10% kanuma as these trees live in bogs and acidic conditions. Next steps are going to take 3-4 years, increase fine ramification.

View attachment 418687
Hi,
Just a thought as I am trialling this species also. With some much thicker wire on the bottom half of the trunks you would get a lot more movement of the 3 trunks, the bending/swaying look. Also, you probably have realised that they are nice and flexible to do this with.
The top half you have wired looks great and nice design overall.
I am curious how they reduce in leaf size over time as @Leo in N E Illinois says their autumn/fall colour is amazing.
Charles

Reaction score
I’d always considered their leaves to be too large even though they are the most beautiful colour. Your photo in leaf in the air pot doesn’t show a particularly large leaf size though. How tall are your trees?

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
How tall are your trees?
48" inches, so relatively large but still manageable.

I’d always considered their leaves to be too large even though they are the most beautiful colour.
I'm going to be applying some techniques to see if I can get reduction of leaf size. They do reliably give a second flush.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Do you plan to remove the exposed roots? or will you eventually bury the exposed roots. As is the "stilt roots", are in my opinion a negative. My aesthetic prefers a more conventional flat, radial root arrangement. Having seen mature Nyssa sylvatica in Ohio, Illinois and Tenn, they do have a fairly radial and conventional nebari. Nyssa aquatica, that grows in swamp settings with bald cypress does have a stilt root arrangement somewhat like a bald cypress. But Nyssa sylvatica is an upland species and its "naturalistic" form is a more radial nebari more like a Japanese maple.

Of course how you style your tree is up to you, I am not trying to dictate my taste. Just offering an opinion, or option.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Do you plan to remove the exposed roots? or will you eventually bury the exposed roots. As is the "stilt roots", are in my opinion a negative. My aesthetic prefers a more conventional flat, radial root arrangement. Having seen mature Nyssa sylvatica in Ohio, Illinois and Tenn, they do have a fairly radial and conventional nebari. Nyssa aquatica, that grows in swamp settings with bald cypress does have a stilt root arrangement somewhat like a bald cypress. But Nyssa sylvatica is an upland species and its "naturalistic" form is a more radial nebari more like a Japanese maple.

Of course how you style your tree is up to you, I am not trying to dictate my taste. Just offering an opinion, or option.

I most likely will remove them in the long run. Currently they are there because they do have a nice amount of fine roots.

Top Bottom