Oak #1 (~ Daygan)

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm posting this tree for advice and constructive criticism.

Collection: Half of a tree that had fallen from a cliff, discovered around mid-December, 2011. Potted in native soil at the time, and repotted into diatomaceous earth on March 17, 2012.

Base dimensions: (L) 31 cm x (W) 13 cm x (H) 10 cm
Height: ~45 cm (from extended soil line to highest branch based on current position)
Immediate plan: Allow to grow freely for a season to ensure vigor. Re-evaluate styling plans in Autumn.

Collecting in December:

attachment.php

Current Potting:
attachment.php

Because of the location of the roots and direction of the growth of the two trunks, the tree sort of lends itself to a raft style (though I haven't made a final decision yet). In fact, I wonder if it had previously been a fallen trunk / branch that naturally ground-layered itself, as the roots are in localized tufts, and the rest of the underside of the base just looks like more trunk. I may never know...

So, feel free to comment, make suggestions, give advice, and offer constructive criticism. Thanks!

Attachments

• oak collection presentation.jpg
    oak collection presentation.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 832
  • oak presentation.jpg
    oak presentation.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 823
Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of your photos did not come through, two did. Interesting grouping. The trunks are long and straight. If it were mine, I would cut the trunks shorter. Thank you for sharing.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Barry. I do plan to cut those branches - probably next year after I'm certain it's going to have good growth. I kept them long when I initially collected it because I wanted to make sure I kept some of the existing buds for this season's growth.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If both trunks make it, a windswept looks like a pretty easy idea... Or you could carve the bottom trunk, and just use the top trunk as the tree. Is it showing buds on both branches?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it showing buds on both branches?

Yes, it is! - which makes me excited.. And they're already extending and Spring-green. They'll start to unfurl in about a week, I think.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And here's a look at those promising buds:
attachment.php

And the hollow at the bottom of that big scar (which has a root growing up out of it that I clipped back earlier this month):
attachment.php

Attachments

• buds presentation.jpg
    buds presentation.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 726
  • hollow.jpg
    hollow.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 727

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking good Daygan. Now you just have to be patient and let it recover. Nice hollow.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some pictures of the roots that I took last month when I repotted. I'm not sure if it's clear, but they sort of emanate from two locations on the underside of the tree, and the rest in between is just bare bark / trunk... or.. whatever. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I should do with all of these roots? i.e. should I just leave them all, or remove the "top" group and let that area become part of the trunk, tilting the tree so that area of the trunk is out of the soil... should I chop off those "handlebars" that come out from the base? Should I rotate the base on it's axis in any particular direction to reposition the roots? Obviously, most of this work would be done next year (or the year after) when I repot, but I want to get through the discussion and decision making process ahead of time so I'm ready for whatever I need to do when that time comes. Anybody have any thoughts?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• roots presentation.jpg
    roots presentation.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 652
  • roots from the top.jpg
    roots from the top.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 654

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You'll probably want to take the entire lower section of roots off, and make yourself a nice flat root pad. You can then place it on a board, or plant on a tile, or just put it in a grow box, and work on the roots that it grows till it's ready for a pot. That way you'll have a shallow base to fit into a pot at that point.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A large number of this tree's leaves have finally reached or gotten close to their mature size. Good growth so far :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• springfoliage.jpg
    springfoliage.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 608

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a quick photo update (June 2):

attachment.php

And ... I suppose I should explain that rope - I notched the branch that it's attached to to put a subtle bend in it. If it heals and looks okay, I'll be happy and work with that design. If not, I'll just chop everything from the notch up and start developing a new leader below that point.

Attachments

• 33_slideshow.jpg
    33_slideshow.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 315

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
It's good to see all the new growth. Nice bark. The tree could make a decent bonsai one day.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More growth :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• post-update.jpg
    post-update.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 281

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, here's a simple photo update:

attachment.php

The spot that I notched over the summer is healing over really well (though I'm realizing the bend is a bit too subtle, perhaps) . I'll get a photo of it when I go back later in the winter or at the beginning of spring.

Attachments

• 201210271062-update.jpg
    201210271062-update.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 221

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Excellent progress posting

Thanks for the photo posting. Keep the progress tracked with more photos. I have an oak in the ground right now and am learnong from your posts. I'll know if my oak makes it through winter in spring of 2013....the long wait begins.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, Tieball. I will definitely try to keep things updated. I won't be going back south to this particular tree's current home until (at the earliest, I suppose) sometime in January, but I'll certainly take some photos when I am back.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Daygan, what type of oak is that? Looks good by the way.

ed

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ed, I'm really not sure what kind of oak it is, but I think I've narrowed it down to either a Quercus serrata or a Quercus fabri, both of which are supposed to grow natively in Zhe Jiang, where I collected it. It's really hard for me to sort through all the identifying characteristics for each species and come up with one that fits perfectly with what I observe on this tree. I really need a professional to help me identify it.

edit: Quercus aliena is also a possibility..

Last edited:
Top Bottom