Oak Advice

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I collected this oak early last year and it has been growing pretty strong. I'm not sure what type of oak it is. Maybe a valley live?
It has a strong curve in it to begin with, so I figure I am limited to about 2 fronts. I wired the few branches it has.

It also had a lot of exposed hardwood so I decided to carve it out. When I carved it, I revealed some beautiful grain in the wood. Especially at the knot at the base. It looks like a brain! Should this wood be treated with wood hardener or lime sulfer?

What do you guys think of it and anyone up for a virt? Tks.

Attachments

• P1015496 (Small).JPG
    P1015496 (Small).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7272 (Small).JPG
    IMG_7272 (Small).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7275 (Small).JPG
    IMG_7275 (Small).JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7277 (Small).JPG
    IMG_7277 (Small).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Leaves remind me of the Holly Oak.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I think you've got Quercus Wislizeni, interior live oak. Feed it every week and it'll back bud like crazy.
Paul

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
First thing I would do is let it grow new branches. I feed every week and my live oaks pop so many buds I have to rub the ones I don't want every few days. AS far as fertilizer I rotate weekly between:
1)Miracles Gro
2)mixture of fish emulsion, liquid kelp, and humic acid. (you're in Fresno, ask Al Keppler about the humic acid)
3) Monrovia all purpose granular organic plant food.

Once you have plenty of branches to work with you can defoliate every year at potting time (Feb.) and you'll gett great ramification.

As far as style goes I think oaks should be styled like oaks i.e. multiple apexes, flattish rounded crown, and hanging and sweeping branches.

Good luck, this is one of my favorite species.

Paul

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I wouldn't worry about treating the wood right now, a little rot will add some character plus you may want to think about some further carving to add some hollows, character and age to the deadwood.

Here is an elm that was posted on IBC, I would aim for this type of effect on the deadwood.http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=116&u=14130929

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I agree with Ian. I don't treat deadwood on oaks. letting it decay to create hollows will give you a more natural look of an ancient oak.

Top Bottom