"OAK BARE ROOT SEEDLINGS"????

Jamusu

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi.

I began bonsai in January of 2019 with 20 bare root willow oak tree seedlings that were gifted to me from the Arkansas Forestry Commission ( Baucum Nursery). I gave a few of the away and a few died. The 12 that survived are doing well thanks to Mr. Brent Walston's guidance.

Oak trees are my favorite for decidous bonsai so I was elated to learn that Baucum sells the following bare root oak tree seedlings at (25) for $25 and (50) for $100.

Sadly, Mr. Brent told me that none of them other than the willow oaks are suitable for bonsai and suggested that I source the following western oak trees instead:

1.) Coast Live Oak: Q. agrifolia

2.) Inland live Oak: Q. wislenzii

3.) Canyon Live Oak: Q.
chrysolepis

4.) Valley Oak: Q. lobata

5.) Blue Oak: Q. douglasii

6.) Shrub Oak: Q. dumosa

7.) Q. vaccinium: (Is this a
mountain oak)?

8.) Oregon White Oak: Q.
garryana

9.) Cork Oak: Q. suber

Would any of you happen to know where I can purchase the western oak trees listed as bare root seedlings at prices similar to those of Baucum?

Were those from Baucum suitable for bonsai, I would have purchased hundreds of them over the next 10 years to train as bonsai.

Since the aren't, I want to take this journey over the next 50 years with western oak tree bare root seedlings or with seeds if I can purchase them at reasonable prices. It will be fun!

Warmly,
James.

Last edited:

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
This place is good if you just want some seedlings:

Brent is awesome and carries some as well. Cork oak is probably the best since the bark is corky. They don't like it too cold. I have one and just bring it in the garage if it gets in the mid-20s or so.

Jamusu

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Their variety is nice. Yes he is! I will purchase a few from him this year.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What's wrong with Q. laurel? If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you. Why wouldn't you collect acorns from local trees that meet your specs? The advantages of sticking with locals is they are hardy to your zone and basically free and available almost every year. We northerners have fewer choices than you in your zone. If you include candidates from the edges north and south of your zone, that need better treatment, that's lots and lots.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mountain oak)?
Huckleberry Oak I believe. A shrub Oak. As to what is "suitable" for Bonsai is YOUR decision. Even huge leaved Q. dentata can be Bonsaied see Anson Burlingame Daimyo Oak at Oakland, CA Bonsai collection. ForestFarm Nursery in southern OR has several different Oak seedlings also.

Jamusu

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What's wrong with Q. laurel? If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you. Why wouldn't you collect acorns from local trees that meet your specs? The advantages of sticking with locals is they are hardy to your zone and basically free and available almost every year. We northerners have fewer choices than you in your zone. If you include candidates from the edges north and south of your zone, that need better treatment, that's lots and

Jamusu

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi.

I began bonsai in January of 2019 with 20 bare root willow oak tree seedlings that were gifted to me from the Arkansas Forestry Commission ( Baucum Nursery). I gave a few of the away and a few died. The 12 that survived are doing well thanks to Mr. Brent Walston's guidance.

Oak trees are my favorite for decidous bonsai so I was elated to learn that Baucum sells the following bare root oak tree seedlings at (25) for $25 and (50) for $100:

1.) Cherrybark Oak: Quercus pagoda

2.) Nuttall Oak: Quercus texana

3.) Chinkapin Oak: Quercus Muehlenbergii

4.) Cow Oak: Quercus: michauxxi

5.) Northern Red Oak: Quercus rubra

6.) Overcup Oak: Quercus lyrata

7.) Pin Oak: Quercus palustris

8.) Sawtooth Oak: Quercus acutisima

9.) Shummard Oak: Quercus shumardii

10.) Southern Red Oak: Quercus falcata

12.) Water Oak: Quercus nigra

13.) White Oak: Quercus alb

Sadly, Mr. Brent told me that none of them other than the willow oaks are suitable for bonsai and suggested that I source the following western oak trees instead:
1.) Coast Live Oak: Q. agrifolia

2.) Inland live Oak: Q. wislenzii

3.) Canyon Live Oak: Q.
chrysolepis

4.) Valley Oak: Q. lobata

5.) Blue Oak: Q. douglasii

6.) Shrub Oak: Q. dumosa

mountain oak)?

8.) Oregon White Oak: Q.
garryana

9.) Cork Oak: Q. suber

Would any of you happen to know where I can purchase the western oak trees listed as bare root seedlings at prices similar to those of Baucum?

Were those from Baucum suitable for bonsai, I would have purchased hundreds of them over the next 10 years to train as bonsai.

Since the aren't, I want to take this journey over the next 50 years with western oak tree bare root seedlings or with seeds if I can purchase them at reasonable prices. It will be fun!

Warmly,
James.

Jamusu

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Please ignore the double posts. I realized that I forgot to list the names of the bare root oak tree seedlings that Baucum sells in my original post that Mr. Brent said were not suitable and attempted to add them. Here is the list.

1.) Cherrybark Oak: Quercus pagoda

2.) Nuttall Oak: Quercus texana

3.) Chinkapin Oak: Quercus Muehlenbergii

4.) Cow Oak: Quercus: michauxxi

5.) Northern Red Oak: Quercus rubra

6.) Overcup Oak: Quercus lyrata

7.) Pin Oak: Quercus palustris

8.) Sawtooth Oak: Quercus acutisima

9.) Shummard Oak: Quercus shumardii

10.) Southern Red Oak: Quercus falcata

12.) Water Oak: Quercus nigra

13.) White Oak: Quercus alba

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
I have a Portuguese Oak (Quercus faginea) growing out for bonsai in 5-10 years time. They have fantastic small leaves, common in UK etc. A nursery here in NZ bought some from seed etc. Worth a try.
Charles

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Your associate, Mr Brent Must be a pretty influential person in this MASSIVE, ever changing, guided with PERSONAL artistically motivated world of Tiny Trees.. to actually TELL someone what IS or ISNT. “Suitable for bonsai”...

I though the only way to ACTUALLY find that out (Suitability) is to grow and develop a tree of that species..

Grow trees YOU want to..

Make choices of “suitability” based on YOUR experience..
Don’t “close yourself off”..

It’s a BIIIIG world.

🤓

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your associate, Mr Brent Must be a pretty influential person in this MASSIVE, ever changing, guided with PERSONAL artistically motivated world of Tiny Trees.. to actually TELL someone what IS or ISNT. “Suitable for bonsai”...

I though the only way to ACTUALLY find that out (Suitability) is to grow and develop a tree of that species..

Grow trees YOU want to..

Make choices of “suitability” based on YOUR experience..
Don’t “close yourself off”..

It’s a BIIIIG world.

🤓

Brent Walston is a highly influential bonsai person, very experienced and well worth listening to. I'm sure he expressed his opinion on species that would perform best, and a beginner would do well to listen to Brent's opinion. Still, no harm in growing whatever suits you and making your own choices. The only thing you have to lose is time.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Brent Walston is a highly influential bonsai person, very experienced and well worth listening to. I'm sure he expressed his opinion on species that would perform best, and a beginner would do well to listen to Brent's opinion. Still, no harm in growing whatever suits you and making your own choices. The only thing you have to lose is time.
Oh i TOTALLY agree with taking guidance from those who know...

I just also really believe in finding your own way...

If Siddhartha stayed with the Brahmins.. he never would’ve attained “clarity” by the river.

I think you can attest to “suitability” only after you, yourself have taken on that particular challenge.

You like oaks, and have produced amazing specimens that make me drool. 🤓 ..Do you feel like, given the correct specimen/time you could make a breathtaking presentation out of ANY ONE of the listed Oaks? I definitely think you could. 🤓

Jamusu

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh i TOTALLY agree with taking guidance from those who know...

I just also really believe in finding your own way...

If Siddhartha stayed with the Brahmins.. he never would’ve attained “clarity” by the river.

I think you can attest to “suitability” only after you, yourself have taken on that particular challenge.

You like oaks, and have produced amazing specimens that make me drool. 🤓 ..Do you feel like, given the correct specimen/time you could make a breathtaking presentation out of ANY ONE of the listed Oaks? I definitely think you could. 🤓
HorseloverFat:

The reason that I love oak trees so much is because I was born, raised, and reside in a community named Oak Forest.

I see scores of georgeous oak trees there daily comprised of the list from Baucum and the leaves on small oak trees that have been hacked back by home owners and renters over the past 20-60 years are just as large as the those of the 7 massive oak trees on my property.

So, Mr. Brent is spot on with his assessment of the oak trees that I listed.
BrianBay9:

You are correct. He gave me excellent reasons why I should not start off with the trees that Baucum sells. Likewise, he did tell me that bonsai trees could be developed from them if I grew them taller and larger than normal to make up for the large leaf size.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Check out the Jonsteen Company. They sell on eBay ... I’ve bought oak seedlings from them and all were great.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll never understand the whole "small leaf size" thing. Are maples inherently inferior to Chinese elm? Is pine inferior to spruce? Grow the species you like. If it has a woody stem and you can grow it in a pot, it's suitable for bonsai.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Water oak makes a great bonsai; it features small leaves that are reminiscent of Live oak, and takes readily to container culture. I have also grown Southern red oak. I wouldn't rule out any oak without trying it first. FWIW.

Top Bottom