Oak Bonsai questions?

silversara

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any general information on oak (not sure on the species of mine) would be appreciated, but I do also have some questions.

Will the leaves grow in huge, or since the tree is small, they'll stay small? I'm not sure how the leaf size thing works.

I dug up a small 12-15 in oakling with a 2 inch trunk, and I'm assuming it's a stunted older tree, as some of the others around it of similar size had very twisted trunks, and all the trees in it's general area were stunted (none over 10 feet). It had a very long tap root, 3ish feet, what's the best way to deal with it? Like do I leave it, or bend it or something else?

20170222_175148.jpg

Here it is pre-digging. And below after.

20170222_175148.jpg 20170223_190748.jpg

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Basically treat them like pines. That is, preserve the roots, don't feed to much P which will damage the mycorrhizae, don't repot to often etc.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Will the leaves grow in huge, or since the tree is small, they'll stay small? I'm not sure how the leaf size thing works.

It would help us to know species, because some oaks (like Chestnut oak) have naturally large leaves, while some oaks (like Coast Live oak) have naturally small leaves.

Rather than try to write a long article on leaf reduction, here is a link to a great article that Brent wrote on the subject at Evergreen Gardenworks.

silversara

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks greatly so far!
And after consulting a few tree knowledgeable people, I believe it to be a white oak. (Which is evidently one of only 2 kinds we have natively growing in our area)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am surprised to see all that ramification on such a short tree. Do you have a lot of deer in your area?

Oh and I'm pretty sure you mean "Oregon white oak". Regular "white oak" is a different tree - a much bigger tree that can grow over 140' tall!

Last edited:

silversara

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We have a ton of deer, there's a herd of 12 or so that wanders between properties on our road.
And yes, Oregon white oak, my bad on shortening the name :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quercus garryana if is your tree do reduce leaf size. Search posts by Rkatzin. Has property with these stunted and reduced and a pic or two of same;). Oaks are a personal favorite so if interested PM phone# and will visit on subject. Also could you give more specific location on profile. PNW is big area:confused:.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

J. Adrian

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I hate to jump on this thread for the question, but maybe since we are speaking oaks, this might help. any ideas on Gambel oaks as good Bonsai subjects? any advice on the species, I went to the nursery yesterday and found a Gambel oak, and 2 pines I am wanting to purchase.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hate to jump on this thread for the question, but maybe since we are speaking oaks, this might help. any ideas on Gambel oaks as good Bonsai subjects? any advice on the species, I went to the nursery yesterday and found a Gambel oak, and 2 pines I am wanting to purchase.
I have a few gambels, one nursery bought and another collected. My only real tip is to be easy on root pruning, they can handle A fair amount but can sulk for awhile afterward, I'd reduce no less then 1/3 of the roots at a time. They do back budd well, and the leaves do reduce.

Aaron

J. Adrian

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks, I liked the trunk, was not able to geta look at the roots but the trunk and branches was nice. I will be going tomorrow to look at a few trees and start 2017 off right! I see you live in Albuquerque do you do any collecting on NM/ Colorado Border?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks, I liked the trunk, was not able to geta look at the roots but the trunk and branches was nice. I will be going tomorrow to look at a few trees and start 2017 off right! I see you live in Albuquerque do you do any collecting on NM/ Colorado Border?
Furthest north I've been collecting is taos on my grandma's property in the tiendita mountains.I got permission this year to collect elms from the bosque here in town so that's what I'm focusing on mainly this year.

Aaron

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The reason why I ask about deer is that there were certain fields around Chicago where the deer would keep the trees in a constantly pruned state because they would constantly eat the new shoots projecting out of the branches. It was a natural "clip and grow" method. That is what your tree reminds me of - a tree that has been munched on for years.

silversara

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's super interesting! I think it's entirely possible, and thanks to everyone who's weighed in!
I don't mind the hijack, more information for everyone ;)

silversara

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It survived the transplant. I've been checking it for buds when I've been watering it, and I spotted some small ones today. I was worried about it since it had that ridiculously long tap root.
I did end up clipping it at about 2 1/2 long, and kind of coiling it in the pot. The tree's in a 18 in nursery pot, and I figure I can do some root trimming in a year or two after its had time to recover.
Hopefully it will decide to beef up some of the thinner roots around its base and get them more developed, as right now it mostly just has the one big one.

20170311_132009.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also an Oak keeper. Just transplanted 2 new ones shipped here in Jan&Feb. Blackjack and Chapman Oaks. Needed to do trees 2nd root cuts after collection. Tried to leave some few small roots on remains of tap roots as well as other roots. Put rooting hormone on end of one as is short enough for future pot growth. Upon replanting personally soak with H2O. Let drain than H2O with root stimulant half strength. Once hopefully showing growth will begin weekly fertilizer and would suggest spray with plant vitalizer such as HB101 at least 2 times/week till strong. Can also add to root feedings after plant shows leaves. This was 2nd repotting of 5 total Oaks this spring with all needing tap root work. Have one more to do but is already in shallow pot as acquired. So far have not killed any but may take a year for recovery. Suggest giving 2 years before repotting and make sure no wet feet in pots;). Best of fortune this year.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two Quercus garyanna and this tree looks consistent with the form, color, bud, and bark of what I have. They're definitely slow growers.

I've heard they're difficult to collect. I look forward to updates!

Top Bottom