Oak ID help

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would have guessed interior live oak as well, given the acorns.

However, very hard to differentiate California live oaks from one another. Leaves can look different based on environment or conditions, and they can change in appearance annually.

Better to get yourself some California valley oaks... and then you won't have to wonder :)

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would have guessed interior live oak as well, given the acorns.

However, very hard to differentiate California live oaks from one another. Leaves can look different based on environment or conditions, and they can change in appearance annually.

Better to get yourself some California valley oaks... and then you won't have to wonder :)
Oh, I did! I found myself some nice Valley Oak acorns (Quercus lobata) that I planted a couple weeks ago. Their taproots have already begun their descent!

I found the Shreve Oaks by pure chance. The different leaves are what shocked me, as I'm not used to seeing oak leaves like that. Since they are fairly rare, I plan to grow them too.

At this point, I am absolutely convinced that these are Shreve Oaks. They match all descriptions I have been able to find much closer than any other tree.

Maybe I can just ask it to drip some sap in a cup and send it off to ancestry.com? 🤪

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Congrats on a 99.5% positive ID! Never heard of Shreve oak, so that's cool. It's fun to find a rare species. Last time I visited my local nursery, I spotted a little Island Oak alone in a forgotten corner. Still debating whether to go back and buy it. I've no idea if they make good bonsai, and I really don't need more trees right now, but I guess they're pretty rare. Maybe for Christmas. ;)

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Congrats on a 99.5% positive ID! Never heard of Shreve oak, so that's cool. It's fun to find a rare species. Last time I visited my local nursery, I spotted a little Island Oak alone in a forgotten corner. Still debating whether to go back and buy it. I've no idea if they make good bonsai, and I really don't need more trees right now, but I guess they're pretty rare. Maybe for Christmas. ;)
If it's Quercus tomentella, then that would be really cool. The Channel Islands are special with several unique species of plants and animals, including dwarf mammoths! Also, it's where God created man, according to the Chumash! I'd love an oak from there!

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They live! I'm really looking to see what kind of leaves they show.

I still don't think they are Coast Live Oak because of how different the leaves were and also because my CLO acorns germinated much faster. These have been in soil for A LOT longer.

There are at least 2 coming up in this one.
IMG_20220214_083627.jpg

Another one in this one and maybe a 2nd on the way.
IMG_20220214_083633.jpg

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here they are again! They are putting out a new burst of growth. NOTE: They are evergreen and never lost their leaves.

IMG_20230502_140602.jpgIMG_20230502_140610.jpg

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Cool! Hope they turn out to be a good species for bonsai. I germinated a bunch of CLO this year. Never thought I'd like oaks for bonsai, but they seem really resilient, especially when pot-raised from the beginning.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look too sawtoothed to be one of the top CA species.

Top Bottom