Oak leaf identification?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMG_0327.JPG Just stumbled across this oak about twenty so feet tall 8-10" base with movement n taper,the leaves are the smallest I've seen in my area for oak,looks like it's possibly been dwarfed somewhat,somehow,any idea what type of oak??i live on the east coast,north east Maryland,thanks

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like it could be Southern Red oak...

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some oak leaves are very similar,I've never seen them so small around my neck of the woods

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Oaks are a diverse & promiscuous lot. There are hundreds of species native to the USA, and dozens have been introduced from else, and they naturalize. They will hybridize often. Collect winter twigs, and acorns, in addition to leaves, all 3 needed to make a good ID.

However, looks like one of the red oak - black oak swarm of species, culture for the group is pretty much the same. Note where it is growing, upland or wetland? That will also help with culture. Southern red oak is probably a good enough ID, until you find an oak expert familiar with your local species.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A good rule of thumb to start with Oak ID. Red Oak species all have sharp spikes on the ends of the lobes and terminal end of the leaves. White Oak species all have rounded lobes and terminal end of leaves, no spikes.

So using that as a start, your leaf is from some variety of Red Oak.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Add to the mix that many oaks have different leaves ON THE SAME TREE. Younger growth and younger trees sometimes have different leaves than mature trees. I have, what I THINK is a black oak. I spent a couple of hours researching on the net to even come up with that guess.

But, your sample does look like a classic southern red oak.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Red oak are in the black oak family.

Top Bottom