Oak not breaking dormancy?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello everyone. I have a Georgia Oak (Quercus georgiana) bonsai that has yet to break winter dormancy and Spring is in full swing. Just about every other tree has flushed out new leaves, yet my oak is still completely lifeless and I am afraid that it might have somehow died during winter. I live in Texas and we did get a big freeze that stayed as low as 13F for several days. However Quercus georgiana is supposed to be cold hardy to zone 5. Today I did a 'stratch test' on a branch and did not see any green before I reached the heartwood. Has anyone else had a tree that just puts out new leaves really late in the season, or am I right to be worried?

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
. Today I did a 'stratch test' on a branch and did not see any green before I reached the heartwood.
This would cause me to worry... I don’t often “scratch” branches.. normally squeezin’/biffin’/bendin’ is enough to “tell” if there is life..

Although I do not know Oaks very well....

I wish you positivity.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@HorseloverFat yeah it had me a bit worried when I saw no green. I will try the bend technique next time I water. I suppose if the branch just snaps that's not a good sign

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's a relief to hear @Bonsai Nut . The prospect of losing a tree is so stressful lol so I will just relax and wait for it to hopefully come back.

You might as well get used to it. Sometimes things happen to our trees that are totally out of our sphere of control. Bonsai will become really unenjoyable if you let it stress you too much :)

Oaks are always late to the party in my garden, although my experience with them is very limited...

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I've been worried that my trees wouldn't snap out of dormancy also... don't fret to much about the bud movement. It'll happen if it's capable. These shots are from today. The first is an oak tree, if you look closely you can see the movement starting at the base of the buds.

20210325_160107.jpg

Here is an elm tree that I have also, this is the first movement I've noticed on it also

20210325_160250.jpg

I MOST DEFINITELY would be looking for something green during a scratch test. I usually start on the furthest branches out and work my way in towards the trunk.

I won't scratch the trunk unless absolutely necessary. FWIW these trees have always scratched green.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My valley oaks haven't broken bud yet. I may have convinced myself I've noticed the little bit of swelling on a few of the buds.
My valley oak is just starting.

My blue oak is one of the first to leaf out among all my deciduous trees. It started on Feb. 24.

So... lots of oak variability.

Bonsai72

Seedling
Reaction score
Did you put them indoors( garage/green house) or did you leave them outdoors in the low teens for many days? That maybe concerning.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My Oak is still to move also. I read somewhere on this forum that oaks tend to bud when the days get longer not when the days get warmer. Not sure if this is true but it would explain the late bloom.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Bonsai72 I left it outside during the cold snap

@Graft and others that said that oaks are late to bud, thanks for the reassuring words. We do break winter here pretty early. If the buds are day length activated, it makes sense that they wouldn't open yet.

Bonsai72

Seedling
Reaction score
@Bonsai72 I left it outside during the cold snap

@Graft and others that said that oaks are late to bud, thanks for the reassuring words. We do break winter here pretty early. If the buds are day length activated, it makes sense that they wouldn't open yet.
Well keep us up dated. Best of luck to you are your Oaks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks. I'll update everyone when I have any news to tell.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not to worry. Even IF some branches/twigs died off Wait and see if new growth comes out from trunk or base. Personally have Georgia Oak and a couple others and no growth yet either including native oaks here.

Top Bottom