Oak.... Pop, dammit!!! POP !!!

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Always a waiting game with some oaks. I’ve got some live oaks that are already pushing and others that are still sitting.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well...at least your tree is thinking about popping. My climate is different. But in some bud-ways it may be similar. Oak buds for around me swell...then pause....and pause....like the tree is out of shape and out of breath to do all that bud and leaf development work. Then days later there is more progress. Slow to start...and once started the leaf development is quite fast.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Weren’t you getting angry at your oaks last year too? 😉

Oaks are like Ents. You’ve just got to have patience, “You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.”

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have some seedlings that the squirrels snuck into my pots.
Free material!
I think we have a total of one squirrel on our whole block, and I haven't seen him in a while. The previous owner of our house used so much rat poison that I think it got all the other animals too. That's why we do cats.
Waiting for the weather to warm up so I can dig some of the oak saplings in the yard, but that could be a while still.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Free material!
I think we have a total of one squirrel on our whole block, and I haven't seen him in a while. The previous owner of our house used so much rat poison that I think it got all the other animals too. That's why we do cats.
Waiting for the weather to warm up so I can dig some of the oak saplings in the yard, but that could be a while still.
Come on down and collect up all the squirrels, oak and maple seedlings you want.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Gonna be in the 70's this week. Trees will start to pop like crazy.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Gonna be in the 70's this week. Trees will start to pop like crazy.

Time to start the anti mildew regimen. Spray bottle with water and Bonide juuusssssssttttttt enough to turn the water.....slightly..... blue. :)
Spray as leaves open. About every 4 days or so. NO mildew for 2 years since starting that. 😊

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been having an itch to air layer a branch out of my red oak that is growing right on my path when I check the trees I have in a grow bed under it's shade... but after reading all this things about them I think I am just going to prune it and save me some headaches.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine haven’t even begun to stir. I checked to make sure the twigs are still flexible. They are. I just tend to forget that oaks are late bloomers.

Top Bottom