Oak Progression..... ( 3 months of 2022 anyhow)

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WHERE'D MY LEAVES GO ??

Damn things don't FALL off. Don't they know the definition of "FALL?" 🤔

So what didn't flick off....got CUT off. :)

View attachment 467107

View attachment 467108

View attachment 467109

What kind of oak is it? Many oaks brown up but don't drop their leaves until the buds push them off in spring. It helps protect the buds over harsh winter weather.

Pin oak and shingle oak are two examples. They are not live oaks. Their leaves die and brown up in late fall. They are easy to identify in the winter because they hang onto the leaves and drop them in the spring.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that a Q lobata? Mine have held onto their leaves way longer than I expected.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think it's robur but not sure. It was an acorn 4 or 5 years ago.
GREAT CARE was taken in the nipping. Those shade clusters around buds were nipped in the stem.
It does take forever to leaf out. Old on or off.

About half had already dropped but I WANT SUN SOON !!!

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
When did you repot and what soil did you use?
Akadama mysteriously kills Oak I saw in some youtube tutorial. Usually the year after repotting.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of oak is it? Many oaks brown up but don't drop their leaves until the buds push them off in spring. It helps protect the buds over harsh winter weather.

Pin oak and shingle oak are two examples. They are not live oaks. Their leaves die and brown up in late fall. They are easy to identify in the winter because they hang onto the leaves and drop them in the spring.
I have noticed the white oaks, including swamp white oak, and bur oak, hold their leaves into the winter. Young red oaks seem to retain some of their leaves also, while the really big ones and the chestnut oaks drop their leaves in the late fall. I am referring to trees in the ground.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have noticed the white oaks, including swamp white oak, and bur oak, hold their leaves into the winter. Young red oaks seem to retain some of their leaves also, while the really big ones and the chestnut oaks drop their leaves in the late fall. I am referring to trees in the ground.

I have a pin oak in the ground. It is full of brown leaves all winter.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've never seen a burr oak keep its brown leaves all winter. Here in Illinois and when we lived in Missouri they fell very late...but we're mostly gone by early December. There are tons of burr oak here and they've been bare for a while now.

Our neighbor had a pin oak the last time we lived in Illinois. It dropped it's leaves all over our yard usually in March/April about a month before new leaves emerged in the spring. Pin oak are easy to find in winter here as they hold onto their brown leaves all winter.

In Missouri, shingle oak also held onto dead leaves until spring. I had a nice shingle oak until I killed it in the move back to Illinois :( I'd snip the dead leaves at the petioles in January to guage structure and prune before spring.

I know there are others as well. Some of the live oaks fall into this category though in a proper environment, their leaves stay healthy and green year round.

Top Bottom