Oak scale

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Anyone else in Michigan getting scale everywhere? They are all over oak trees and seem to be getting on my other tree branches. Going to be brushing my trees soon I guess. :(

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone else in Michigan getting scale everywhere? They are all over oak trees and seem to be getting on my other tree branches. Going to be brushing my trees soon I guess. :(
Believe there are cures for these but be most careful around pets, birds, small animals;). Both systemics and topical.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eye sight and hand removal.

Quality time.

Spend it!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope. Never even seen one on any of my trees.
No bugs are even out here. But I do use my trees with Bayer 3 in 1 systemic. It keeps my trees insect,arachnid and fungus free. Plus I use nothing organic. I will be trying a little bark in my mix this year. Maybe.
What kind of oaks? The ones that grow here? White and red? I don't have any of those things either though. For numerous reasons.
If you head toward Gaylord through Mancelona taking Alba road you can find all kinds of trees to collect.
And Barker Creek nursery in Williamsburg is one of the places I go to buy nursery trees. There were a few decent mugo pines there last fall when I got my procumbens juniper for the fall contest.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
[QUOTE="
And Barker Creek nursery in Williamsburg is one of the places I go to buy nursery trees. There were a few decent mugo pines there last fall when I got my procumbens juniper for the fall contest.[/QUOTE]

Last time I drove by, it looked like Barker Creek was out of business.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
[QUOTE="
And Barker Creek nursery in Williamsburg is one of the places I go to buy nursery trees. There were a few decent mugo pines there last fall when I got my procumbens juniper for the fall contest.

Last time I drove by, it looked like Barker Creek was out of business.[/QUOTE]
I'm not from there, but is it possible it was out of season? I can't imagine a nursery being open year round up there.

Aaron

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score

You may want to google "oak wilt in Michigan". It's a fungus transmitted by a beetle, not scale, but it is extremely dangerous and it is important how you handle your oaks.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may want to google "oak wilt in Michigan". It's a fungus transmitted by a beetle, not scale, but it is extremely dangerous and it is important how you handle your oaks.
No trimming of oaks in leaf to deter the beetles. They smell the fresh cuts and make a beeline for them.
It's ripping through oak trees near Alpena. I've taken down 5 giants in my uncles yard in the last 2 years. And the rest are going.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It's not a fungus, it's scale, if there is Oak wilt around here it isn't very common.
I'll take pictures some time, they are super small right now but growing, they mainly stay on newer branches and suck the life out of them.
You can tell also because the black ants are around eating up the honeydew.
Good thing is they are easy to brush off or water blast them.
Nope. Never even seen one on any of my trees.
What kind of oaks? The ones that grow here? White and red? I don't have any of those things either though.
Mostly Northern Red Oak I think, but every Oak around my place that I've seen has them. Some so infested you can't see the branches.
Yes, native trees. I don't have any collected Oaks yet...some in the ground i'm trying to "prep".

Last edited:

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
It's not a fungus, it's scale, if there is Oak wilt around here it isn't very common.
I'll take pictures some time, they are super small right now but growing, they mainly stay on newer branches and suck the life out of them.
You can tell also because the black ants are around eating up the honeydew.
Good thing is they are easy to brush off or water blast them.
I never suggested they weren't scale. I have no doubt that they are and that they are weakening your trees and even killing some branches. I was suggesting you be careful how and when you prune.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The research I've done spray won't penetrate the scale shell...it does nothing.
If it's hard scale, then yes the spray alone is inefficient to penetrate their armory. So it must be used in combination with some horticultural oil which will "smother" the insects.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The oaks around here aren't that great of trees for bonsai.
In fact they are very poor candidates actually.
Long petioles. Large leaves. Long internodes.
And they don't take to collection very well.
Not to mention as you're finding out pest magnets.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
When I prune anything I try to burn it if it has insects or disease.
The oaks around here aren't that great of trees for bonsai.
In fact they are very poor candidates actually.
Long petioles. Large leaves. Long internodes.
And they don't take to collection very well.
Not to mention as you're finding out pest magnets.
Just to be clear I didn't take Oaks from the wild, or buy them, they are the ones on my property. Scale just seems to be overrunning the Oaks.
Yeah leaves are big here :(
I just wanted to dig a few up when they look better, if not they are getting cleared out of the area anyways to make room for real trees :p
What's amazing to me is in order to sell trees legally you have to be certified and prove your plants have no pests or disease.
Everytime I goto a nursery I find something wrong with them. :confused:

Random User

Reaction score
Or maybe it actually does work and you will never find out... for less than $20.00 I know I would give it a try at least.

Top Bottom