Oak sticks in a box

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Soil: akadama en pumich 50/50. Fertilizer: Matsu Abrakas / Fish emulsie. Too avoid insects: Jin seal in fall and spring. The only thing I need more is a slab. I know who is going too build one.🤪

March:
View attachment 302440

Yesterday:
View attachment 302441
And of course a little bit of rum..........
Wow! What an improvement in just a few years. I was not aware you could reduce leaf size like in the picture. Come to think of it, this may be the only oak forest bonsai I have seen 🤔

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would suggest separating the two tallest apex' by bringing the right apex further towards the right. Or lean the entire right tree a little more, if possible

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
That is really nice! I have some English Oaks and 2 (left) black Oaks planted in the ground. Harry Harrington has a care guide for oaks which you should read, powdery mildew is a big problem when the foliage gets too dense, thin them out and put them in a spot that has very good air circulation (Windy). Also a good fungicide that is absorbed into the leaf and will stay effective for a couple of months would help a lot. I have found if you use sulphur or copper they are covered with the stuff for half the season, at least here, it's very humid for half the summer.

Reaction score
I would suggest separating the two tallest apex' by bringing the right apex further towards the right. Or lean the entire right tree a little more, if possible
I'll keep that in mind when i wire it again, good point! I saw another oak forrest here in the Netherlands, 3 years ago. It was a little bit smaller as mine.

Reaction score
That is really nice! I have some English Oaks and 2 (left) black Oaks planted in the ground. Harry Harrington has a care guide for oaks which you should read, powdery mildew is a big problem when the foliage gets too dense, thin them out and put them in a spot that has very good air circulation (Windy). Also a good fungicide that is absorbed into the leaf and will stay effective for a couple of months would help a lot. I have found if you use sulphur or copper they are covered with the stuff for half the season, at least here, it's very humid for half the summer.
Thanks, I read allmost all artikels online and got some advice from people with lots of experience on Oak. Bonsaiempire also has a good one. It's standing on my roof terrace so there should be enough wind circulation. I thin them out/ cut back hard in juni.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First class forest. I have one, too, and I will be hiding it until yours catches fire.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
VERY nice. Master at work!

Hate the pot. Send it to me. I have a Yew for it (Where did you get the pot? Is it a unique piece, or do I have a chance of buying a similar pot?)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love the unglazed pot for this Oak forest. I was recently in a part of the country characterized by Oak forests and this composition “feels” true.

Reaction score
VERY nice. Master at work!

Hate the pot. Send it to me. I have a Yew for it (Where did you get the pot? Is it a unique piece, or do I have a chance of buying a similar pot?)

Thank you, indeed master at work. Marc is really great !!! That pot is just a cheap Chinese. 100, - peak as we say. Bought it from bonsaihobby, this was the biggest. They are not in the webshop. Prehaps you can contact them.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
After seeing those first few pics, I can't believe how fast they developed! This gives me hope because I am starting several oaks this winter (sticks in pots).

Reaction score
After seeing those first few pics, I can't believe how fast they developed! This gives me hope because I am starting several oaks this winter (sticks in pots).

Maybe it could have been a little faster. I neglected him for 1 year. If I started again I would do it differently. I would have left them in the large pots / buckets a little longer and perhaps already potted some off them in pairs. I'm also thinking about starting a new one.

Top Bottom