Oak-style boxwood

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I dug this boxwood last January from the now-dissolving hedge that used to occupy my front yard. I wanted to style it to imitate the oaks that grow in my area of northern CA. With the help of a REBS member at a recent workshop we gave the tree its first styling. In addition, I did some preliminary carving in a few spots to add some interest and deal with some large chop scars. Although it still has a long way to go with branch development, ramification, and refinement, I think it has a bright future.

I plan on keeping it in the Anderson flat for a couple more years to allow for a bit quicker growth and development. The first picture is just after I dug it.

Comments, advice and criticisms are always welcome.:)

Attachments

• boxwood 10:12.jpg
    boxwood 10:12.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 493
  • box before.jpg
    box before.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks like a good start but I'd suggest wiring every branch now while they're still movable and get some movement in the smaller branches.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice progression! Gotta love these oak style Boxwoods.

Something that bothers my eye though, and I know it probably can't be fixed, is the lower left part of the tree, towards the base. That gap distracts my eye a bit.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice.

I would probably reduce the girth of the left branch further by carving. It feels too heavy right now.

Photos being 2-dimensional, I am not sure but, I would also consider removing the branch next to the current leader at the right-rear to open it up.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Very cool. I agree that every branch should be wired now rather than later, especially the apex. Carving can always be done in the future, and I'm sure there are a few carving additions that could make an improvement. If you go to the convention, make sure to watch Kevin Willson.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice.

I would probably reduce the girth of the left branch further by carving. It feels too heavy right now.

Photos being 2-dimensional, I am not sure but, I would also consider removing the branch next to the current leader at the right-rear to open it up.

Dario,
You're right about the need for more carving. I've been intending to reduce it more because as you say 'it is too visually "heavy"'.

As far as removing that branch is concerned, I may in the future. I want to keep my options open for now and may select out branches as it develops.

Thanks for the comments/advice.:)

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like a good start but I'd suggest wiring every branch now while they're still movable and get some movement in the smaller branches.

Very cool. I agree that every branch should be wired now rather than later, especially the apex. Carving can always be done in the future, and I'm sure there are a few carving additions that could make an improvement. If you go to the convention, make sure to watch Kevin Willson.

You are both right about the need to wire every branch. I realize this necessity with all of my trees when I work on them. The problem is, though, that I absolutely HATE wiring. But, nonetheless, it is a necessary evil in this hobby, isn't it? When I last worked on this tree in the workshop, I had also worked another boxwood of mine where we did wire the entire tree. By the time we got to this one, I was basically "over it". ;)

It's funny you mention, Kevin Willson, Brian. Of all the workshops offered at the convention, his was the one I seriously considered signing up for. He is doing a boxwood workshop where carving with power tools is the focus. I decided against it due to the fact that it would mean time away from my family on a weekend. I already reserve two bonsai related activities per month and with two little ones I can't really justify any more. I figure when they get a bit older I can devote more time to my little trees. At this point in their lives they actually want to be around dad. That won't always be true!

Cory

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I decided against it due to the fact that it would mean time away from my family on a weekend. I already reserve two bonsai related activities per month and with two little ones I can't really justify any more. I figure when they get a bit older I can devote more time to my little trees. At this point in their lives they actually want to be around dad. That won't always be true!
Cory, You have your priorities right...keep it up! :)

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I took everyone's advice and wired the tree out at a recent workshop.

Attachments

• Boxwood #3 11:12.jpg
    Boxwood #3 11:12.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 349

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Nice job wiring it out, looks very good so far. Like this angle better, due to that gap at the base that Ryan mentioned earlier, looked unstable. Should turn out pretty good.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Good start to the wiring. I know you don't like to wire but I'd suggest to wire out and place every single branch that's not green. Once these branches harden it's much harder to get movement in them and to keep them where you want them. Get evryone of you're primary and secondary if they've hardened up enough branches wired and placed and you'll find the tree will be easier to develop from there. This can be a really nice tree in just a few years.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm getting ready for the REBS annual show on Saturday and Sunday. I hope to see some of you BNuts there!

I repotted this into a bonsai pot this spring and I think it is coming along nicely. I do, however, think I will rotate the front clock-wise a bit at the next repot. Let me know what you think. Any other comments and suggestions are welcome as well. :)

Thanks for looking!

Cory

Attachments

• oak-box 8:14.jpg
    oak-box 8:14.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 276
  • oak-box2 8:14.jpg
    oak-box2 8:14.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 261

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Looks good, Cory. I'll look forward to seeing it in person on Saturday.

tinajasaltas

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow, beautiful tree, Cory. I love live-oak style boxwoods and this one is outstanding in my eyes. Unfortunately I have trouble keeping them alive in my climate. :(

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow, beautiful tree, Cory. I love live-oak style boxwoods and this one is outstanding in my eyes. Unfortunately I have trouble keeping them alive in my climate. :(

Thanks. I is surprising to me that you can't keep them alive. I would think boxwoods would be fine in AZ. Dario (Poink88) is from Texas and he has a bunch of them. I would think your climates were similar. Perhaps if you kept them in semi-shade?

Cory

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice. I would thin the second branch up on the right, and pull the upper apex over to the right a bit for balance.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
wow that looks great, I love the powerful aged feel it's taking on.

Top Bottom