Oak-style boxwood

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the nice comments, Giga and Milly! They've been enjoyable to work on. Bonsai is slow but when you keep visual records of them you can look back and see the steady improvement over the years.

Cory

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have been pretty absent from this website and from bonsai in general for quite a few years. I've done little more than keep my trees alive and, as a result, they had become quite overgrown and in need of some TLC. Recently, I decided to give them some attention and did some pruning and thinning on my Boxwood. Here is the result. Any comments or criticisms are welcome. Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

• IMG_20190708_160146.jpg
    IMG_20190708_160146.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 115

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's always humbling to photograph your trees. I see flaws in them that I don't see in person. For instance with these Boxwoods I notice that since they have been neglected for so long that I have lost the twigginess in the branches. Also, the branches don't have the taper that I would have gotten if I had kept up on them. I will have to work them back and rebuild some of the branch structure for a more convincing image.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for these updates.

Sorce

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This tree will go into this pot next Spring!

Attachments

• IMG_20190825_185130.jpg
    IMG_20190825_185130.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 72

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's always humbling to photograph your trees. I see flaws in them that I don't see in person. For instance with these Boxwoods I notice that since they have been neglected for so long that I have lost the twigginess in the branches. Also, the branches don't have the taper that I would have gotten if I had kept up on them. I will have to work them back and rebuild some of the branch structure for a more convincing image.

Nothing a few more leaves can't fix(or obscure). Glad you kept left low branch/jin;). Love assymetry.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Kathy Shaner mentioned at the last REBS show that the tree looked a bit too much like 🤷‍♀️ (she made that gesture). She suggested that the lower left hand branch be removed since the tree mostly moves to the right. What do you think?IMG_20200207_122106~2.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kathy Shaner mentioned at the last REBS show that the tree looked a bit too much like 🤷‍♀️ (she made that gesture). She suggested that the lower left hand branch be removed since the tree mostly moves to the right. What do you think?

I agree, your virtual makes sense.
This is a great boxwood! Love that pot, too.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Did some work thinning, pruning, and wiring on this Boxwood the last few days. Thinning this thing was a project in itself. It took me multiple-hour sessions over the course of two days to do this. These trees create such a profusion of leaves through a growing season. With all the ramification that I've achieved with this tree comes more and more work to clean it up. Ugh!

I also did some wiring. You'll notice a couple guy wires pulling a couple branches down in addition to the apex.

0224210628a.jpg

Back
0224210628.jpg

Top down shot
0224210626.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom