Oak Style Kingsville

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Here in the South we have Old Oak trees that I dearly love, the low hanging branches that can sweep back to the ground just to soar back up again. Their trunks can be massive as well as their branches.
This is the start of My Oak Styled Kingsville Boxwood.
Irene

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
so with the old oaks in mind.....
Jay Nolen came out to eyeball it and wired it for me...
Thank You loads Jay...
Irene

Last edited:

Jay Nolen

Seed
Reaction score
Yes, Irene, these do remind me of these oaks near my house.

Attachments

• 1604Bandera.jpg
    1604Bandera.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 1604Shaenfield.jpg
    1604Shaenfield.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 41

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I saw this one on a day trip to Lost Maples.
Irene

Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree has a nice oak feel, especially the lower branches and obviously is in great health. I'd like to see the top thinned a bit.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
This tree has a nice oak feel, especially the lower branches and obviously is in great health. I'd like to see the top thinned a bit.

Top won't be trimmed till after spring root trimmings.....They can be a tad fussy.
Irene

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Speaks oak to me Irene nice trunk too. Good to see Jay is putting your wire to good use. LOL

Ash :):)

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ms. Irene, I have a question. I have never done a boxwood before, I have read that they are really stiff. does aluminum wire really work I think it would be to soft to hold the branches.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Ms. Irene, I have a question. I have never done a boxwood before, I have read that they are really stiff. does aluminum wire really work I think it would be to soft to hold the branches.

The boxwoods have very stiff branches but most can be bent using the Behr Appleby method.
Copper is used on this tree in order to get it to hold the shape....Wiring has to be loose enough to not bind but tight enough to hold.
Perhaps aluminum can be used for the very top branches, but for now this tree has to rest.
Doing to much to soon can kill them.
Irene

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think she is implying that the bottom branches look like they have been wired with aluminium Irene.

Just a side note.....no posting at school Taylor:mad:

Jay Nolen

Seed
Reaction score

Hello Taylor,
Yes, you can use Aluminum wire on these trees. You are correct that it is softer so I used a larger gauge wire than I would have needed if I had used Copper wire.

I hope this answers your question.

Jay

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Irene,

I like the Southern Oak style and think you are on the right path with this tree in that style. Our most common Southern Oak Style oak in the Charlotte NC area landscape is the willow oak, Quercus Phellos. Kingsville boxwood also captures the willow oak's characteristics very well.

Please confirm that the first picture is your choosen front.
Can you offer some details into why you choose the front you choose and what you see as it's strengths and some of the other potential front's weaknesses?

For instance, I like the view presented below as my favorite front of all the pictures. Could you offer any detail as to why this view wasn't picked?

Regards,
Martin

Attachments

• 100_0580-2[1].jpg
    100_0580-2[1].jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 75

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mr. Jay, Thank you for answering. I new that looked like aluminum. The cage style wiring you did is really good. Mr. Colin tried to teach me that and it drove me nuts to get it just right.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Irene,

I like the Southern Oak style and think you are on the right path with this tree in that style. Our most common Southern Oak Style oak in the Charlotte NC area landscape is the willow oak, Quercus Phellos. Kingsville boxwood also captures the willow oak's characteristics very well.

Please confirm that the first picture is your choosen front.
Can you offer some details into why you choose the front you choose and what you see as it's strengths and some of the other potential front's weaknesses?

For instance, I like the view presented below as my favorite front of all the pictures. Could you offer any detail as to why this view wasn't picked?

Regards,
Martin

Martin, Myself and Jay liked the open feeling that side gave, but I am very much into the concept of the 360 tree as well. I did not find any weakness in any of the views, they each offer something that I find appealing. The strenghts of pic 1 is the long low muscled branches on both sides, but the same could be said on the other fronts. I like the first front because it reaches out to hug you and draws you into itself.
I hope this answered your questions.
Irene

Top Bottom