Oak..... theory?....or not?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The oak I've been whining about not "popping" has ...POPPED.
With a vengeance.
Looking at the bundle of new leaves got me wondering.

IF.... I kept all of these new leaves and didn't mess with trying for direction ...early...
Would the proliferation of foliage draw more energy and....thus... keep all the leaves smaller than if I clipped and let it go as usual?

🤔

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what you're asking. For my coast live oaks, I let spring growth extend (sometimes 2-3 feet) and harden off, then wire or prune back to a couple of new sets of leaves. Let it go again, repeat. Repeat. Seems to be the best way to get ramification, and energy to the roots. More ramification = smaller leaves.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not sure what you're asking. For my coast live oaks, I let spring growth extend (sometimes 2-3 feet) and harden off, then wire or prune back to a couple of new sets of leaves. Let it go again, repeat. Repeat. Seems to be the best way to get ramification, and energy to the roots. More ramification = smaller leaves.

Have always done that. Just musing about a curiosity.
SEEMS... more leaves, less for others to get bigger.

???

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The oak I've been whining about not "popping" has ...POPPED.
With a vengeance.
Looking at the bundle of new leaves got me wondering.

IF.... I kept all of these new leaves and didn't mess with trying for direction ...early...
Would the proliferation of foliage draw more energy and....thus... keep all the leaves smaller than if I clipped and let it go as usual?

🤔
For Oregon White Oak, Georgia Oak yes smaller leaves. For N Red Oak not so much:(.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
An acorn to this in five years. Fabulous work and care you’ve done. Mighty fine!

May have been 6. Things blur at my age.
Went on a bobsai group trip and saw it in a nursery "starter" pot.
Another guy picked it up but put it back.

GLOM !!!

Top Bottom