Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
attachment.php
attachment.php
[/IMG]
attachment.php
[/IMG]Forest service permit, Southern NM, 6,500' Trimmed some too big dead and too tall live early this spring. Then ditched down to the end of the topsoil where it meets the solid granite, backfilled with forest floor duff and soil mix. I watered weekly for 2 months until the rains started. Has rained for 2 months now, this is a current photo. Poor photo for scale sorry.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!

I would have taken it home the day you trenched it since you went down to rock anyway (and I assume most roots were disturbed that time already). It should be fine collecting it come spring. :)

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Large collected ca live oak

I have 'saved' a large CA live Oak from a trash pile: the tree was kept in a 24" box, maybe longer than a decade and left for dead. The tap root(s) have circumvented the perimeter of the square container and left me with a square root ball that is 'fortified' by large lignified roots.
The tree has put on healthy, almost vigorous new growth this season despite drought conditions and no care
I raked out some of the dry, old clay soil from the exterior - no live feeder roots found. I've set the tree in a kiddie pool for the last week, where it's been soaking the bottom 6" of it's massive root ball.

I live in Santa Cruz; winters are mild with brief 28F cold snaps in Feb.
Here's the question for the Oak Pro's, should I:
1. repot the tree as is, in a huge container - leaving the root ball as in it's compacted soil and wait for spring to work roots
Or
2. Defoliate and remove 1/3 root mass from bottom of root ball

Days are warm 55-80 with cool nights 55-65, the tree will get dappled light and have protection from sun and wind. The tree will likely have 4 months before any chance of freezing weather.
I have no idea how Coastal Live Oak responds to heavy root pruning, nor do I know the annual schedule of their root growth...

Am I drowning the Oak by letting the bottom soak in standing water, where the feeder roots are likely to be? I'm planning to remove from standing water this weekend.
Thanks in advance.
AFRAME

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Great tree

I've been keeping an eye open for a live oak to collect (ours are fusiformis) You found a really nice one congratulations. What species is it?

I agree with Dario. Lookimg at soil surrounding the hole it doesn't look like you cut any huge roots outside the rootball. Go get it already.

tinajasaltas

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Love your handle...I'm a crotalus nut myself.

I have an affinity for oaks. A couple seasons ago for construction purposes I got to try a 9" Emory Oak, Quercus emoryi, from my mother's property in central AZ. I had to bare root it...well we cut the taproot and had no roots at all to work with. It leafed out producing long shoots and small roots but it slowly demised. I mistakenly kept the oak in full shade failing to give it enough light, I also think the hard water from my tap was a detriment to its success.

I recently found a 3ft tall Scrub Oak, Quercus turbinella, at a local nursery that I'm stoked about however, it has only been watered and is still in its nursery pot. I'm fortunate to know some people owning land that have some oaks where I may try again...we'll see.

The oak in the original post looks beautiful. Do you believe it is an Emory Oak? Those occur throughout NM if I'm not mistaken. In situ they can live 100's of years as gnarly medium sized trees. emoryi have medium sized leaves and seem like they'd be great for bonsai.

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
Scrub, I believe

attachment.php

My little oak has really put on some growth since I ditched it. With my watering and fertilizing before the rains and then a long steady rainy season it has put on some green!

Right now I am keeping 3 Atrox. 2 three year olds I raised from new born and 1 two year old also from new born. All picked up just outside my fence hahaha

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 'saved' a large CA live Oak from a trash pile: the tree was kept in a 24" box, maybe longer than a decade and left for dead. The tap root(s) have circumvented the perimeter of the square container and left me with a square root ball that is 'fortified' by large lignified roots.

Would it be possible you could keep these roots and just let them grow together and become a new bigger base to the trunk and let the smaller roots at the bottom become the new root system?

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Would it be possible you could keep these roots and just let them grow together and become a new bigger base to the trunk and let the smaller roots at the bottom become the new root system?
Not something I'd want to try; if even possible. That would produce a very unsightly trunk and the tree would remain well over 200 lbs. My back hurts just looking at this thing.
anyways, not my thread - It was wrong of me to have posted here in the first place.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
None the less if I had the place I'd be glad to give it a go.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
attachment.php
attachment.php
[/IMG]
attachment.php
[/IMG]Forest service permit, Southern NM, 6,500' Trimmed some too big dead and too tall live early this spring. Then ditched down to the end of the topsoil where it meets the solid granite, backfilled with forest floor duff and soil mix. I watered weekly for 2 months until the rains started. Has rained for 2 months now, this is a current photo. Poor photo for scale sorry.

I wasn't able to bring up any of your pics so tree remains an enigma.

Top Bottom