oak tourniquet

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to ask; dose any one have experience with ground layering/tourniquet oak?
I need to fix this reverce tapering...
This is a Quercus ithaburensis
Thank you!
Shay

Attachments

• IMG_20150222_204712.jpg
    IMG_20150222_204712.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20150222_204737.jpg
    IMG_20150222_204737.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 42

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I would be more inclined to try grafting roots at the desired spot. I've done that successfully with several oaks. I haven't tried layering ithaburensis. The two I have have decent bases. I have tried and failed with Q. lobata, Q. douglasii, Q. durata, Q. garryanna. I know someone in Santa Cruz who has successfully ground layered Q. agrifolia numerous times.

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
OK, thank you!
I havnt done root grafting yet...
Any special tips for oaks?
I'll look for instructions online.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
You'll need a bunch of seedlings of The same species. If you have access to acorns you can grow some and use them when they are two years old or about .5 cm in diameter. To graft use a dremel carving bit about the same size as the whips to cut vertical grooves at the graft site to expose cambium. scrape the bark off of the seedlings at the graft poin to expose cambium also. press the seedling into the groove you cut, secure with a small nail, and seal with cut paste. Repeat around the diameter of the tree. Plant the tree with grafted seedlings deeper at the new nebari level and wait a couple of years before removing the tops of the grafted seedlings leaving the new roots. Remember that ithaburensis has very thick bark so you need to be sure to cut your grooves past the cambium. As an alternative you can also thread graft the seedlings onto the tree. All this is much easier to demonstrate than to describe. I'd be happy to come show you how if you want to send me a round trip ticket.:p

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks... :)
I have several oaks and I might just start with air layering and see how it responds.
In the meanwhile I'll start saving up for that grafting lesson...

Top Bottom