Oak tree acorns seedlings

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a question about one of my three oak trees. How come this tree has transparent leaves and is this normal? Notice how you can partially see my finger on the other side of the leaf. Pretty sure this is a red oak.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could be an Oak skeletonizer Moth larva Bucculatrix sp.

look up some images and see if the damage looks similar.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nothing similar. All the leaves are like this. Could it be albino? Any explanations? 20200522_134147.jpg

Last edited:

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know albino trees cannot survive to long, is there any way I can keep it alive?

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They might change after a few days. My oak seedlings looked like that too before the leaves hardened. I didn't notice the transparency, however. I wouldn't worry yet

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That is super weird, I’ve grown many oaks and never seen that. When did you plant them? Have they been in direct sunlight the whole time?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Genetic damage from unknown cause.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why is everyone so sure this is bad? Wait and see. May be something special may be perfectly normal;).

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any part of a leaf that is variegated has less chlorophyll. The golden parts have about half as much as normal, the chartreuse has more but less than normal, and white has essentially none. To the same extent that they have less than normal they are parasitic upon the plant, making it less hardy, less vigorous, and grow slower and smaller than the type. Leaves are supported initially by the roots and are shed if they do not support themselves and contribute back to the system soon after they are fully inflated.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These two seedlings were grown from the same tree's acorns. The greener one (in the sphagnum) was waaay ahead of the one in the perlite. However, the lighter one, grown in perlite has outgrown it's brother. They had about the same colours as your seedlings when they were that size. Despite the colour, they seem to be fine

Attachments

• 20200523_174510.jpg
    20200523_174510.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom