Oak yearlings

S1m0n

Seed
Reaction score
I have a batch of yearling oaks (Oregon White Oak/Q. Garryana) that I grew from locally-collected acorns, with the aim of bonsaiing the most promising. However, I'm a n00b, and can't find info on how to proceed. Should I be letting them grow on unchecked to gain trunk width? Pinching them back to promote lateral growth and shortness? Wiring limbs/leaflets for horizontality and shape?

They're all between about 10 and 16 inches now. The best is about a foot, with an interesting swerve to the trunk and many leaflets/branches. The worst are 16" whips. I'll bonsai 1 or 2 and guerilla-plant the rest. In my community, Garry Oak meadows are a big deal, so if I can get some to be two or three years old, they'll be legally protected.

~~

Also, I accidentally ended up with an small batch of horse chestnuts, after local youth spilled a large bag of conkers in my lawn, and I decided that I didn't want to just mow them over, so I potted half a dozen or so. I hadn't really considered bonsaiing them, and the leaves seem too large to make a satisfying bonsai, anyway. However, now I have them. Do people bonsai horse chestnut? Does it work? What would I do to make it happen, if I decide to proceed?

PherPhace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Any progress on your trees? I'm visiting the rogue valley in Oregon and just picked up a handful of sprouting acorns. I'd like to see what 3 years of growth looks like...

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let's assume the tree's look awesome and he is a bonsai professional by now ;)

Top Bottom