Oaks with very low branches

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One characteristic of many oaks in my area are branches very close to, or touching, the ground. THis is one example. Has anyone done a bonsai with ground hugging branches?

Attachments

• oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 72
  • oak2.jpg
    oak2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 76

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
One characteristic of many oaks in my area are branches very close to, or touching, the ground. THis is one example. Has anyone done a bonsai with ground hugging branches?

Yup..
Irene

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I see oaks do this alot, The branches drop down and eventually ground layer themselves-at least with coastal live oaks.

I also often see these coastal live oaks with their branches growing up, then eventually coming down. I would like to someday incorporate something like what you are talking about into my designs. I'm not good enough to pull it off right now.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a very common thing with some oak species, particularly "live" oak species. Lower branches in very old specimen of Quercus Virginiana (southern live oak) droop low and root at the ends.

Although it's a very compelling trait, it's not easily used in bonsai. Finding appropriate stock is the main problem. Such trees in nature inevitably have a low broom style--accompanied by a very large initial trunk. That can take some time to find in an containerized oak.

Which means finding another species and using it to develop this style. Ficus would be the most obvious choice...

Also, once developed, a container to hold the finished tree might be problematic, since you have to provide a pot wide enough to accommodate the rooted branches...

Top Bottom