Obligatory Cherry Fukinigashi

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve got a cherry potensai that I’ve been successively thread-grafting with an ornamental variation. This Spring I suddenly discovered that the tree is almost 50% vertically dead so all of my grafts on one side (the whole length) were wasted effort. But I still have the other half healthy and the living portion has furled rather nicely against the deadwood the whole way up. The trunk is pretty much straight as an arrow (unfortunately) and it is too thick (4 cm. diameter) to put any serious bends in it. I have no choice but to accept what I’ve got and to get down to finding a design that will put those lovely flowers to good use. My problem is that I have no Fukinigashi experience and not even a vision in my head what to do with it. I LOVE THOSE BLOSSOMS and I want to do something with it! I just don’t know what. If the trunk had some movement it would be easy, but ………

Help:
Pictures? Drawings? Theory? Encouragement? Internet Link?

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I assume this nest of rats is unmonitored & suicidal, running full-speed towards a tree.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Well we can't help what we can't see... ;-)
Are you pretending not to understand the question? No interest (or experience) in a bonsai with growth on one side alone?

* “The trunk is pretty much straight as an arrow” ... I wonder what that means? It must be Greek for “exaggerated S bends”.

* “ … the tree is almost 50% vertically dead so all of my grafts on one side (the whole length) were wasted effort. But I still have the other half healthy and the living portion has furled rather nicely against the deadwood the whole way up.” … No idea what that could mean. Greek again (I suppose) meaning it’s broken in half with the crown lying limp on the ground and foliage growing at all angles from every surface.

Yes, without a photo the imagination is completely stumped. If no one has actually owned (or seen) a Fukinigashi they could just as well not have bothered replying. Or perhaps kindly admit they've never tried growing one and unfortunately have nothing to contribute ... but "good luck! Keep us posted!"

Now make it even worse by posting an onslaught of slander and getting the last word of "Huff & Puff".

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Raft....and float it down the river.
"Raft" is a possibility for sure but "floating it down the river" sounds like more of the lazy and unfriendly demeanor of this forum. You people are not really interested in bonsai, are you. What are you here for .... to pump up your ego at the expense of someone you mistakenly assume is a beginner? You've got a hole in your ego and all the pumping in the world ain't going to help you.

Any other insults, comments, advice, suggestions?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
"Raft" is a possibility for sure but "floating it down the river" sounds like more of the lazy and unfriendly demeanor of this forum. You people are not really interested in bonsai, are you. What are you here for .... to pump up your ego at the expense of someone you mistakenly assume is a beginner? You've got a hole in your ego and all the pumping in the world ain't going to help you.

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that there is no pictures of your tree. No one here can see what you are talking about. No one can give advice without seeing what your seeing. If you wish to continue here with this line of getting pissed off at what you think is being rude, then you get what you deserve. If somehow you feel you have posted pictures and the link is broken, I suggest you figure it out before you become what you are turning into. A troll.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

The only thing I assume about you is that you don't have a camera....

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, I am sure it is very difficult knowing what a tree with foliage on only one side of the trunk looks like. Without a photo of one, how can you possibly imagine it? Mine must be the only one in existence. A straight trunk with foliage the length of one side. Wow. It is impossible. I have met lazy and dispassionate people but never so many in one place. So if another person doesn't even own one (therefore no picture) then the tree/project/subject/style doesn't exist?
No pictures? It doesn't exist.
So far the only useful input has been the suggestion to implement the raft style but it was accompanied with sarcastic/insulting advice that the project should be thrown out. I seriously do not think any of you are interested in bonsai at all, but would rather just talk about yourselves. Which one of you is the moderator on this forum?

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, try and get us to do your work for you and then when we don’t, call us lazy and dispassionate. There a million variations on what that tree looks like. Your incredibly lazy description tells us almost nothing. But here, let me try.

Cut it back to right here ——>
Then take that branch and bend it down so slightly.
Cut those twin branches off
Hollow out the dead wood from here —> to <— here

See how stupid this exercise is? Now do what I suggested or show us picture.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, I am sure it is very difficult knowing what a tree with foliage on only one side of the trunk looks like. Without a photo of one, how can you possibly imagine it? Mine must be the only one in existence. A straight trunk with foliage the length of one side. Wow. It is impossible. I have met lazy and dispassionate people but never so many in one place. So if another person doesn't even own one (therefore no picture) then the tree/project/subject/style doesn't exist?

So far the only useful input has been the suggestion to implement the raft style but it was accompanied with sarcastic/insulting advice that the project should be thrown out. I seriously do not think any of you are interested in bonsai at all, but would rather just talk about yourselves. Which one of you is the moderator on this forum?
Wow, you accomplished one thing without a picture, the ignore list. Your loss!

Top Bottom