Obligatory Cherry Fukinigashi

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I just got it, you butchered that tree so badly you killed half of it with shoddy grafting and are embarrassed to show it.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
@Nebari, man you've been a member of this forum since 2011. Surely by now you know how this place works!?
"Work"? It does not 'work' and that's the reason I am so seldom here. This forum acts like it's a cult. I only stopped in to give it another chance. I thought, maybe this time ..... But no. All you've got to say is "Give me a photo!" The subject is not photos nor my project. The subject is about what can be done with such a tree.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Work"? It does not 'work' and that's the reason I am so seldom here. This forum acts like it's a cult. I only stopped in to give it another chance.
"We" appreciate that ;)

I thought, maybe this time ..... But no. All you've got to say is "Give me a photo!" The subject is not photos nor my project. The subject is about what can be done with such a tree.
I didn't say it before, but I'll say it to make you happy - show us a photo or two.

I think if you do that you might get people to invest a little time and think about what might be done. Otherwise, I agree that it sounds like you are expecting others to do your work for you. This place is the most active bonsai forum on the internet so it obviously "works" for many people. Give us a couple of photos and see what happens. Otherwise, who knows...

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
"Work"? It does not 'work' and that's the reason I am so seldom here. This forum acts like it's a cult. I only stopped in to give it another chance. I thought, maybe this time ..... But no. All you've got to say is "Give me a photo!" The subject is not photos nor my project. The subject is about what can be done with such a tree.
If this is an ill conceived thought experiment, you are the problem here. You say in the op you say have a tree. This forum is about showing and discussing trees and if you want to mix it up with something different, you should probably figure out how to use the correct words to explain it, because you failed, HARD, if you are.

As for everything else you have said, if you find yourself surrounded by jerks, it’s probably you that is the jerk.

And do you even know what obligatory means?

o·blig·a·to·ry
əˈbliɡəˌtôrē/Submit
adjective
required by a legal, moral, or other rule; compulsory.
"use of seat belts in cars is now obligatory"

synonyms:compulsory, mandatory, prescribed, required, demanded, statutory, enforced, binding, incumbent; More

so customary or routine as to be expected of everyone or on every occasion.
"after the obligatory preamble on the weather he got down to business"

synonyms:compulsory, mandatory, prescribed, required, demanded, statutory, enforced, binding, incumbent; More

(of a ruling) having binding force.
"a sovereign whose laws are obligatory"

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, err, you state in the first post that this is your tree "I’ve got a cherry potensai that I’ve been successively thread-grafting with an ornamental variation. This Spring I suddenly discovered that the tree is almost 50% vertically dead so all of my grafts on one side (the whole length) were wasted effort"

An accompanying photo is pretty standard when someone asks for advice on their tree. It's a simple courtesy for asking for people to help you with it.

Bitching about being asked for a picture of what we've been asked to help with is pretty rude, even if you're asking cult members.

We can offer advice on your vivid descriptions, but a one-sided straight trunk "fukinagashi" style. (which is "windswept" --no one uses "fukinagashi" to describe their trees much these days) could have some alternative styles possible given the nebari and other factors.

Without a picture of the actual tree, the only advice is "choose the right branches that are left wire them out and make sure they look like they've been affected by wind."

You asked specifically about the tree YOU HAVE, not about "what can be done with such a tree."

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
So the bottom line is that there is no interest in the subject, therefore no discussion ... and I should have resisted bringing it to this forum. Does that sound about right?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So the bottom line is that there is no interest in the subject, therefore no discussion ... and I should have resisted bringing it to this forum. Does that sound about right?
No the bottom line is that you can't (or mostly Won't) give us much to work with. So long...

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm interested and would love to discuss...any chance you could post a pic or two?
I just took them this second and the light is failing, making the "tall" one almost useless to look at. But the "base" photo is representative of the whole length of the trunk even as it tapers towards the tip. I know it is difficult to discern but the branches coming in from the left are threaded from the ornamental cherry.

Attachments

• P2010010.JPG
    P2010010.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 69
  • P2010012.JPG
    P2010012.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 76

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i think it will be very difficult to make a convincing windswept with the ram rod straight trunk, the material maybe better suited to a leaning/slanting tree, the branch structure needs a lot of work too. a convincing leaning/slanting tree needs or is better with a visible anchor root on the opposite side of the lean...hope the images help, your tree is difficult material to work with

ive tried both forms
IMG_3520 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

IMG_1631 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just took them this second and the light is failing, making the "tall" one almost useless to look at. But the "base" photo is representative of the whole length of the trunk even as it tapers towards the tip. I know it is difficult to discern but the branches coming in from the left are threaded from the ornamental cherry.
See? That wasn't so hard now, was it? Be a good boy and keep playing by the rules. Troll

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Placing a picture of a tree you want styling advise on is pretty normal if you ask it on a forum...common sense I’d say.
It’s hard to see which is the lowest branch but you could wire this up as a new leader and make the tree out of that, removing all other branches and chopping it down perhaps just a little higher then the lowest branch. As it already has a Shari you could even go further and make it a hollow trunk all the way to the top.
Here is a Hinoki that had all branches on 1 side, offcourse yours is deciduous so take that into account , don’t style it like this tree.
32122A8C-2A1F-4C77-B9B7-A75CBB04DB51.jpeg1432C420-3306-4A61-8C8B-0426943AA144.jpeg

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
i think it will be very difficult to make a convincing windswept with the ram rod straight trunk, the material maybe better suited to a leaning/slanting tree, the branch structure needs a lot of work too. a convincing leaning/slanting tree needs or is better with a visible anchor root on the opposite side of the lean...hope the images help, your tree is difficult material to work with

ive tried both forms
IMG_3520 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

IMG_1631 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Thanks, Bobby. Yes, I agree that a windswept would be difficult to pull off. I like your first photo and I can get some foliage with mine - to play with - at the apex (just like in that photo) ... it's just that I don't have that much movement the trunk, as you do. I have none really. It's amazing how even a little movement can make such a big difference. But I think slanting is probably the only solution. I could manipulate the foliage across the trunk to the other side but I have a feeling it won't look very nice. Another possibility is to try bending the trunk but with that thickness and nearly 50% of it dead wood, I don't think it is supple enough to be possible.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Placing a picture of a tree you want styling advise on is pretty normal if you ask it on a forum...common sense I’d say.
It’s hard to see which is the lowest branch but you could wire this up as a new leader and make the tree out of that, removing all other branches and chopping it down perhaps just a little higher then the lowest branch. As it already has a Shari you could even go further and make it a hollow trunk all the way to the top.
Here is a Hinoki that had all branches on 1 side, offcourse yours is deciduous so take that into account , don’t style it like this tree.
View attachment 202303View attachment 202304
Good idea ... chopping it and lowering the apex. That would take some of the visual rigidness out of it, and because all of the future growth will be by thread grafting I can experiment with it and place the lowest branch anywhere that would put the height of tree at its best advantage. Thank you.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You live in the back seat of a rusty '53 Chevy behind an abandoned bowling alley, don't you.
Dude, it wasn't me who threw a tantrum because people asked for (gasp!) pics pf the tree, then capitulated, and uploaded a couple of crappy pics of a crappy tree. So, yes, you are a troll. With a crappy, half dead tree :D:D:D:D:p:p:p

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Dude, it wasn't me who threw a tantrum because people asked for (gasp!) pics pf the tree, then capitulated, and uploaded a couple of crappy pics of a crappy tree. So, yes, you are a troll. With a crappy, half dead tree :D:D:D:D:p:p:p
You should have gone to school past the 3rd. grade. Now all you are is stupid and have no friends except the deaf & dumb Chihuahua you share lodgings with inside that car behind the bowling alley.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You should have gone to school past the 3rd. grade. Now all you are is stupid and have no friends except the deaf & dumb Chihuahua you share lodgings with inside that car behind the bowling alley.
Still a troll

Top Bottom