Obligatory Cherry Fukinigashi

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
You should have gone to school past the 3rd. grade. Now all you are is stupid and have no friends except the deaf & dumb Chihuahua you share lodgings with inside that car behind the bowling alley.
WOW! I don’t know what is causing your completely unnecessary attitude with everyone in this thread, but you would be better off not posting until you can find and fix your problem. You do as you think you see fit though.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that got out of hand fast. Bobby I swear you and Mach5 have some of the best trees I have seen, my goal is to have some good ones one day.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
WOW! I don’t know what is causing your completely unnecessary attitude with everyone in this thread, but you would be better off not posting until you can find and fix your problem. You do as you think you see fit though.
WOW! The main agitator has spoken. You obviously do not know the definition of "everyone" as in "unnecessary attitude with everyone in this thread". I know you think that everyone is the exclusive group of those who share your ilk but you're too late now. You've been side-lined, poor fellow.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
WOW! The main agitator has spoken. You obviously do not know the definition of "everyone" as in "unnecessary attitude with everyone in this thread". I know you think that everyone is the exclusive group of those who share your ilk but you're too late now. You've been side-lined, poor fellow.
You are correct. I misspoke. I should have said 'unnecessary attitude with almost everyone in this thread'. Regardless, it doesn’t effect the meaning of what I said.

If you need someone to talk about any of your issues causing this perceived anger, please PM me and I would be happy to be someone you can talk to.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
You are correct. I misspoke. I should have said 'unnecessary attitude with almost everyone in this thread'.
Yes, it would have been more accurate, but what is your point?

Regardless, it doesn’t effect the meaning of what I said.
Regardless, I still ask you .. what is your point?

If you need someone to talk about any of your issues causing this perceived anger, please PM me and I would be happy to be someone you can talk to.
As it is you who is hell-bent on perpetuating confrontation, it is, therefore, your issues that need addressing, but please do not PM me. It is better for you to take that up with a professional. I am here to talk about bonsai. Your fragile ego doesn't interest me. But is it possible you haven't noticed that those who really ARE interested in bonsai have already contributed to the "Obligatory Cherry Fukinigashi" (with very interesting comments & input), while you persist in dragging out your need for drama by provoking it even further. This forum is about BONSAI but here you are on page 3 still with your knickers tied up in an agonizing position and a dwindling number of honourable ways to extricate yourself.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, it would have been more accurate, but what is your point?

Regardless, I still ask you .. what is your point?

As it is you who is hell-bent on perpetuating confrontation, it is, therefore, your issues that need addressing, but please do not PM me. It is better for you to take that up with a professional. I am here to talk about bonsai. Your fragile ego doesn't interest me. But is it possible you haven't noticed that those who really ARE interested in bonsai have already contributed to the "Obligatory Cherry Fukinigashi" (with very interesting comments & input), while you persist in dragging out your need for drama by provoking it even further. This forum is about BONSAI but here you are on page 3 still with your knickers tied up in an agonizing position and a dwindling number of honourable ways to extricate yourself.
Sure thing champ. Good luck.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Sure thing champ. Good luck.
What is wrong with you? Seriously. The thread has progressed into something interesting and constructive yet you insist on provoking confrontation. You are like a torn square of toilette paper that allowed your finger to poke through and get some of the brown stuff got stuck onto it. You just can't shake it off. It is you personally who has instigated the situation and it is you personally who keeps pushing that agenda. If you have nothing to say about the art of bonsai then I suggest you find some other opportunity to air your soiled thumb.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
... chopping it down perhaps ...
..... maybe better suited to a leaning/slanting tree ..... better with a visible anchor root on the opposite side of the lean...
I'm not sure what side of "the lean" would look best for the anchor root. I can't draw very well but with some well-placed ramification, some wires, and maybe carving out some taper in the trunk ... I think I could live with it.

Attachments

• cherry pickens.jpg
    cherry pickens.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Other people seem shocked by your attitude but I can understand why you are frustrated my pseudonymous friend. Something about this thread seems vaguely familiar...

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Other people seem shocked by your attitude but I can understand why you are frustrated my pseudonymous friend. Something about this thread seems vaguely familiar...
A vaguely familiar thread? I can't understand what I can't see. Can you submit a picture of it ... ;-)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"This Spring I suddenly discovered that the tree is almost 50% vertically dead so all of my grafts on one side (the whole length) were wasted effort. But I still have the other half healthy and the living portion has furled rather nicely against the deadwood the whole way up..."

I really admire that people who have come to your aid, despite the screaming and insults. Takes a bit of patience to handle posts like this.

Anyway, FWIW and at the risk of starting another bout of screaming insults, if this were my tree, I'd just chuck it. It has no real future, at least within ten years. That long uninteresting trunk isn't worth the time and effort to try to make it look interesting. There's always carving, but again, the trunk is not worth the effort. Grafting stuff to crap doesn't make it not crap.

One last thing---the trunk died for a reason. If you don't reflect on what that reason is, the rest of this tree is probably doomed anyway. I would suspect your overwinter storage had a lot to do with the situation, but without any info on your location, it's hard to tell. Extreme dieback like that suggests massive root death either from exposure to extreme cold or continued freeze/thaw cycles of the root mass and soggy conditions...

This is probably more than you want to hear, but there it is...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
this is going too far, isn't it?
This person is completely out of control.

I think one day I will read a fascinating paper on the psychology of Internet forums :)

Not sure why @Nebari got so mad in the first place, but to continue to argue with someone about their online attitude is a waste of time, in my opinion. If he wants to alienate people, so be it. I'm sure he understands that he is being obtuse - we just don't understand why and perhaps he doesn't want to tell us :)

That said, I agree with @rockm 's point of view, which is that this tree isn't worth the time unless there is some hidden value in it that we don't understand. I go back to my bonsai mantra, which is - always start with the nebari and base of the trunk. Those are the hardest things to develop and take the longest time to change. This tree has a compromised root system, and half the roots may in fact be completely dead. The trunk doesn't have any movement at the nebari, doesn't have any taper, and may be problematically difficult to get to thicken up if the scar gets in the way of your development plans.

Stepping back for a moment and considering the source material, cherries are generally developed as bonsai for their blossoms. Culturally it is an important tree to the Japanese, and is a literal example of the Japanese aesthetic of Wabi Sabi. The cherry trees in Washington DC were a gift from Japan to the United States (at least the first 3000 or so were).

cherry.jpg

Naturally, cherry trees grow in an informal upright style. They are prized for having a graceful, almost weeping growth habit. I have personally never seen a formal upright cherry, and I think you will have a hard time styling a cherry in a more extreme, masculine style like windswept because it will be difficult to make it look believable - being a deciduous tree on one hand, and a delicate flowering species on the other - one which would not in nature put up with the extreme environment that would create a windswept tree. These are my opinions because I'm not saying you CAN'T style a cherry as a formal upright or a windswept - just that it I don't think it would be the appropriate style for the species.

Since the OP has enough experience to be able to successfully graft cherry branches (not the easiest skill to master) I would think that he would be able to come up with a better solution. A possible approach that hasn't been suggested here is to just go out and find a cherry with better nebari and trunk base (perhaps even a nursery tree) - and then graft your nice cultivar branches down low and grow a new trunkline (and primary branches) from the grafts. You would be years ahead of trying to fix the current tree.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OP--did your head explode yet, or have the hypertension meds kicked in, or possibly the Lithium

Nut's note on finding a better tree is spot on. In the time it takes to "save" this one, you could be farther down the road with a new tree...

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
did your head explode yet, or have the hypertension meds kicked in, or possibly the Lithium

Let's not continue to argue with one another for no possible benefit. I see a little bit of myself in every Internet troll :) There are certainly times that I am having a bad day and just feel like yelling at people - and the Internet is the perfect place to do it. I freely admit to being a troll on occasion :)

Top Bottom