Obligatory Cherry Fukinigashi

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I never asked anyone to critique my project. I only asked for ideas on how the style (ambiguous) could be done. “Just chuck it” is what I would expect from a know-nothing who thinks all bonsai are tiny Japanese conifers.

Whatever you think about bonsai (or me personally) makes no difference because my steadfast conviction is that anything can make a bonsai ….. and the ONLY thing that matters at all is the feeling of accomplishment that the individual grower gets out of each and every tree. I am sad to say that this forum (as with most bonsai forums) is going nowhere and its use seems to be no more than a place for egos and dreams of grandeur to dwell ….. along with the brown-noses who want to be as close to them as possible.

Winning awards has nothing to do with bonsai gardening because anyone can purchase an award-winner without even getting his fingers soiled. Creating bonsai is everything to me - and the more difficult the project, the greater sense of accomplishment is afforded. The terms “success” or “failure” need not exist.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dude. Relax! I'm the opening post you said youve been thread grafting branches on, but you didnt say how many. Is it 5? Is it 15? 25? You said half died. Did that leave you with 3? 7? 13 branches left? Who knows? Not us.... You said it's 4cm thick. How tall is it? 25 cm? 50? Where are the (unknown number)branches located on whats left of this godforsaken tree?? How can you expect to get design advice without these kinds of details?

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Dude. Relax! I'm the opening post you said youve been thread grafting branches on, but you didnt say how many. Is it 5? Is it 15? 25? You said half died. Did that leave you with 3? 7? 13 branches left? Who knows? Not us.... You said it's 4cm thick. How tall is it? 25 cm? 50? Where are the (unknown number)branches located on whats left of this godforsaken tree?? How can you expect to get design advice without these kinds of details?
You must really be stupid. Numbers of branches? Half of them died? (I never said that) And what do the number of branches have to do with it anyway? Maybe you are just semi-literate or you just want get your nose into the discussion, never mind it is completely irrelevant.

And now that I think of it, the response "Godforsaken tree and “Just chuck it” is what I should have expected. After all, sending in photos was just asking for trouble.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
“Just chuck it” is what I would expect from a know-nothing who thinks all bonsai are tiny Japanese conifers."

I don't work with conifers. Just deciduous. And none of my trees are tiny. They're all pretty large --larger trees are more forgiving on mistakes, of which I have made many over the last 25 years and continue to make.

The advice about just starting over is the same I have given myself over the years. I have wasted time on more than one useless good for nothing tree and regretted it. Spend time on more worthwhile stock over time and even I can make this over the years.

literatiboxwood.jpg

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't work with conifers. Just deciduous. And none of my trees are tiny. They're all pretty large --larger trees are more forgiving on mistakes, of which I have made many over the last 25 years and continue to make.
My interests are the same. In fact, I tossed out a very decent-looking Hinoki cypress recently just because I thought it was boring. Everyone I know was upset with me because it was very popular and anyone who came to visit considered it the centre of attraction.

The advice about just starting over is the same I have given myself over the years. I have wasted time on more than one useless good for nothing tree and regretted it. Spend time on more worthwhile stock over time and even I can make this over the years.
I never know what I will think is worthwhile. It just grows on me one season after the next. I have a gingko that is OK but symmetrical. The only reason I keep it is because my primary-school science teacher brought a gingko leaf to class one day and told us a few things about the tree. I keep mine as a kind of tribute to him. But the truth is that I really don't enjoy owning bonsai all that much. I am passionate about creating them, however. So even if a project doesn't look like it will ever become a nice bonsai ...... I still love trying. It all depends on a "feeling" beyond my control.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
[QUOTE="This Spring I suddenly discovered that the tree is almost 50% vertically dead so all of my grafts on one side (the whole length) were wasted effort.[/QUOTE]

To me that equals half the branches died. Does it not??

The number of branches left affects how much you can do to re-style the tree(IF it survives) You can do a lot more with 12+ branches than you can do with 4 or 5.

Posting pictures when asking for help isn't asking for trouble. Arguing with the people who need more information in order to help you is asking for trouble.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So even if a project doesn't look like it will ever become a nice bonsai ...... I still love trying.

I think you have gotten a lot of decent advice in this thread. The advice is within the context of what people normally value with bonsai development - the best progress in the least amount of time. Quality AND quantity. If you have a problem tree (don't we all) and ask for advice, I'm not sure why you are shooting down people for offering suggestions. At least you can say "hmmm interesting, not sure I agree but I have to admit I hadn't really considered it :)"

I think the point is simply this. You can try to "save" that cherry by working with the current roots and the trunk... and 20 years from now still have a problem tree. Or you can deal with the problems NOW and in 20 years have something to be proud of.

If I have learned one thing in my many years of bonsai, it is that many people do not take the decisive action necessary to give their tree a future. They start working on ramification before the branching is properly established. Or they work on branches when the trunk has issues. When I look at your tree I see a tree that needs to be brought back to "step one" in order to establish the foundation necessary for a future as bonsai. That's why I suggested starting with a new tree base and grafting - because you will fix what needs fixing, while still keeping what is valuable (the cultivar and flowers).

I'm not trying to score ego points, or make fun of your tree. It is simply my honest opinion.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
To me that equals half the branches died. Does it not??

The number of branches left affects how much you can do to re-style the tree(IF it survives) You can do a lot more with 12+ branches than you can do with 4 or 5.

Posting pictures when asking for help isn't asking for trouble. Arguing with the people who need more information in order to help you is asking for trouble.
Go sit on your ears, you idiot.
I think you have gotten a lot of decent advice in this thread. The advice is within the context of what people normally value with bonsai development - the best progress in the least amount of time. Quality AND quantity. If you have a problem tree (don't we all) and ask for advice, I'm not sure why you are shooting down people for offering suggestions. At least you can say "hmmm interesting, not sure I agree but I have to admit I hadn't really considered it :)"

I think the point is simply this. You can try to "save" that cherry by working with the current roots and the trunk... and 20 years from now still have a problem tree. Or you can deal with the problems NOW and in 20 years have something to be proud of.

If I have learned one thing in my many years of bonsai, it is that many people do not take the decisive action necessary to give their tree a future. They start working on ramification before the branching is properly established. Or they work on branches when the trunk has issues. When I look at your tree I see a tree that needs to be brought back to "step one" in order to establish the foundation necessary for a future as bonsai. That's why I suggested starting with a new tree base and grafting - because you will fix what needs fixing, while still keeping what is valuable (the cultivar and flowers).

I'm not trying to score ego points, or make fun of your tree. It is simply my honest opinion.
What the hell is your problem, anyway?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm @Bonsai Nut , honest, professional, fair. Words that would easily describe the advice given. Any one of us nuts would gladly take what you have to say and opinions you have on trees based on your YEARS of experience. Thanks for your contributions to this thread even though, quite frankly, this thread needs no more energy or time from any of us. Though the rest of us, including myself could sure use what you’ve got to offer.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
As long as everyone understands that our bald tailed little friend is screwing with everyone. To this person, it was never a serious question.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gose and other sour beers. Oddly delicious? Or crappy brewery hipster trend? Discuss.
Traditional beers in Belgium and parts of France. Sours predate hipsters by centuries! And I loved them. One of my favorite experiences was in a small tabern in Bruges, where they gave me a sour beer menu of over 20 pages. Heaven!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
And I always thought Americans where angry ignorant gun toters!

I haven't seen your tree pic but my suggestion is to make the half dead wood into 100% dead wood feature. Try carving to accentuate. ;)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Traditional beers in Belgium and parts of France. Sours predate hipsters by centuries! And I loved them. One of my favorite experiences was in a small tabern in Bruges, where they gave me a sour beer menu of over 20 pages. Heaven!
Agreed. They’ve just caught on and in my opinion the perfect summer beer.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Go sit on your ears, you idiot.

What the hell is your problem, anyway?
Yeah Bnut, what the hell!!

Heh heh, and now the site Admin is being trolled!

Luckily, I'm currently drinking a delicious double IPA by Orpheus, so I can find humor in this train wreck of a thread...
IMG_1105.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think I've ever seen "go sit on your ears" used as an insult before.

Maybe he meant "go sit on your beers"?

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Gose and other sour beers. Oddly delicious? Or crappy brewery hipster trend? Discuss.
Sour beers are one of my favorite style but Gosè are oddly not my thing. I have yet to try one that suites my taste, and not for a lack of trying.

Has anyone ever tried a Duchess De Bourgogne? a barrel aged sour that has a tonne of flavor. Being in a city that spoils me for great beers, it’s the only import I continue to go back to.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sour beers are one of my favorite style but Gosè are oddly not my thing. I have yet to try one that suites my taste, and not for a lack of trying.

Has anyone ever tried a Duchess De Bourgogne? a barrel aged sour that has a tonne of flavor. Being in a city that spoils me for great beers, it’s the only import I continue to go back to.
Duchess is a favorite. The guys frpm Jolly Pumpking, in Michigan, make amazing sours too. One of their best, I think, is Madrugada obscura, a sour stout

Top Bottom