OC Farm Supply

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Si - I hit up the farm supply for those huge bags of pumice. You're right - great price. I bought 5 of the big 40+ pound ones. Believe it or not, I'm already out. I repotted 53 trees over the last two weeks :)

What's the status on our next group meeting? I dub thee President. Get crackin'! :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How can you be VIP at all these places? Everyone knows you. Koi places. Farming supply places. These places are 25 miles from your house!

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
How was the particle size on these bags? My last few purchases from OC Farm Supply had rather large chunky pumice.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How was the particle size on these bags? My last few purchases from OC Farm Supply had rather large chunky pumice.

They ARE chunky, but not like the asteroids you were talking about :)

I wouldn't use them on my shohin without some crushing and screening. I gently crush them on my garage floor with a sledge, sweep em up and screen them. I don't need a lot for the smaller trees so I don't mind the labor.

These were those mesh bags that were zip-tied closed. You gotta love those bags! I saved a couple of them because they are pretty much invulnerable.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Those are useful bags. They do not do well in sunlight for an extended period of time. After a few weeks in full sun, you might pick up a bag of stuff and have just the top of a bag in your hands, no stuff. It'll stay down there with the rest of your bag....

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
How can you be VIP at all these places? Everyone knows you. Koi places. Farming supply places. These places are 25 miles from your house!

I charmed them with my handsome good looks and witty reparte, of course. And I wowed them with my abundant knowledge of agricultural science. I wasn't an FFA of Texas for nothing. Need I say more?
He he.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Those are useful bags. They do not do well in sunlight for an extended period of time. After a few weeks in full sun, you might pick up a bag of stuff and have just the top of a bag in your hands, no stuff. It'll stay down there with the rest of your bag....

Yup, the bags don't last too long. Don't save them. Just bring them back to the store asap. You'll score a lot of points with them that way.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you buy things from only one person who will know you well, then he will give you the discount.
Now, I tend to use more lava cinder from David Nguy! Good stuff and great price.
Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I dont know if they still do this anymore, but I got a lifetime membership card from them, which allows me 10% off everything all the time. If you plan to do bonsai for a long time, then ask next time you're there if they let you sign up for their "VIP program". I had my card since around 1995. Saved a boat load of money. :)

Top Bottom