Oct and just got 2 new mugo pines

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The only thing that I would add, that can be done now, is to clean out the dead needles from the interior of the tree. All of the box store mugos I have purchased contained a lot of junk. Cleaning it out now will allow the air and light to get in there. It also allows you to get to know the structure of the tree better. Any shoots that are dead can be removed also.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Either way. Not knowing for sure where the OP is located it's difficult to be more specific. Slip potting a Mugo is seldom a problem.

If you were to slip pot now would you still be able to do a full repot next summer?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you were to slip pot now would you still be able to do a full repot next summer?

I don't know why not. I have done it. Mugos are a lot tougher than many think.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
First let me thank you all for the input this far. And sorry anoint the long post

Next, I'm sorry I didn't put my information in my profile. I was in a hurry to jump in the forums. I've added the few details and will add more later. But for now to save time in in Virginia near Washington, D.C. and zone 6b/7a.

I see now I really need to share more details here before just asking questions. Sounds far and we end up with the best for growing the plants. I've grown bonsai trees a short time long ago before the internet provided us with the wealth of information we get today. I had a book and picked up a few trees to get started. My drive into the world of bonsais was a neighbor that gave me some guidance. Then I moved and eventually the trees died. Not until this year did I feel or think of growing bonsai trees again. Now I have many trees I'm starting. I was thinking my son can have them when I'm gone if he liked.

So out shopping I ran into the deal for the mugo pines and from reading online infirmation on mugo pines I thought it was smart to start on these now. See I retire in 3 years. I figure if I start now the trees will be about ready to be placed in bonsai pots or about then. That's based on post from Vance Wood saying it takes years to work on these tree because you can do a lot each year.

Now the trees. When I picked the trees I did not just pick the healthiest green tree or anything like one would for a normal planting. (I did consider healthy looking but more then just that) I looked at the roots and when I had the pines pulled out of the containers I checked out the trunks as well as I could. I would remove the soil down to the roots to see what I could of the trunks. It was funny because I had the guy watering the plants wash my hands. I was dirty and getting looks but it didn't matter because I needed good trunks. I figure some may not be great trunks but I can work them and help learn as I go. Questions from the selecting a mugo pine. I hear the fungus growing in the roots is good for a pine tree. I don't know so it that true?

I have not had a chance to sit with the trees and clean out the dead and photograph the details like the trunks. Maybe today I will get time.

I did want to start planning the winterizing of the trees and find out if I should be doing anything now to the trees. That was why I started this posting.

From what I understand I will clean the dead out and let the trees be until spring. What about this split container? I'm guessing you are recommending I split the container the trees are in. Am I correct in thinking this is to keep the roots back from growing any more?

For the winter storage should I put all my trees along the north facing wall? I was thinking of putting the others like my dawn redwoods and giant sequoias in my garden with the containers half barrier and the small plants covered with straw. Would this be ok or the north facing wall be better for all?

Sorry about the long reply but I wanted to share the details and what I'm thinking to get the best answers.

Thank you all as I know your time is valuable.

Also, my last thought. I'm going to return to the store later and see if I can get more mugo pines. They had larger ones that could be worked back. Would they be worth buying? Ive seen many that are as large as these trees. They bay be 12-18" tall and 18-20" wide. If the sale has them cheaper I was thinking of getting them.

Dave

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The Winters you have in Virginia are not normally that serious and the Mugos should do just fine with a moderate amount of care, mulching up the containers and placing the tree out of the wind and direct exposure to the sun will be more than enough. Yes the Mugos are worth buying as long as you don't mind having to work on them to get them to do what you can imagine.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
some trunk photos

Here are some photos of the trunks of the 5 mugo pines. From looking at them it seems most have a nice trunk except one may not. The rain started so I didn't get to clean all the dead up of the trees and the soil down off the trunk much more then you see here.

The one nice thing I did notice was green near the trunk. I was careful to not knock it off when cleaning out the dead.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 28
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 27
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
And a few more photos of the trees.

Attachments

• image13.jpeg
    image13.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image12.jpeg
    image12.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image11.jpeg
    image11.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 17
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 12

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They look like they will be fun to play with. You did a pretty good job of picking trees.

The main reason for cutting down the container is to allow easier access to the trunk. Since you are planning on repotting them next year I would just leave them be for now. They have grown perfectly happily in those containers up until now there is no reason to mess with them.

Your plan for overwintering sounds good. The main reason for placing them near a north facing wall is to keep the temperature consistent. With the trees in the sun you will get much greater temperature swings.

If I were you I would not hesitate to go back and pick up a couple of the larger ones too.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Don't worry Vance I do clean up after myself.

I found out the the store I got the trees from will be selling all that is left tomorrow for 75% off. I know I now have about 7 mugo pines but I'm going back and will get what I can find. Can't hurt to have more to learn with and if not for bonsai I can plant one or two in the yard.

Dave

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Don't worry Vance I do clean up after myself.

I found out the the store I got the trees from will be selling all that is left tomorrow for 75% off. I know I now have about 7 mugo pines but I'm going back and will get what I can find. Can't hurt to have more to learn with and if not for bonsai I can plant one or two in the yard.

Dave

Not wishing to start anything just wishing to prepare you for the criticism sure to follow in the wake of you getting all these Mugos. There are those who will tell you that you cannot make a bonsai out of a Mugo Pine in your area. They are right if you try to grow them like JBP's, specifically repotting in the spring. Recently someone posted a thread on IBC about the North Caroling Bonsai Exhibit, Mr. Joura was the author. There was a Mugo that was quite nice grown by a Doctor, now deceased, from a nursery tree grown in Virginia.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well I'm sure that people will tell me all kinds of things about the trees I grow. I figure if I can get even one "real" bonsai would be great but my intentions are to grow bonsai trees for a hobby not a compatition. If I end up with trees that would be worthy of compatition then I learned well but otherwise I'm sure many people, myself included, will enjoy my trees.

Dave

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the world of Mugo Pine.
After reading all of Vance's posts to the BNut, I decided to purchase and work with this tree.
I now have 3 trees working.

Keep on reading everything that Vance posts. Hopefully, someday, he will put a book together for us to use. Until then just keep on reading his posts, he has tremendous knowledge to share.

Joedes

Top Bottom