Octopus Mugo Pine

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at a mugo post earlier today, I got to thinking about the only mugo I have and what a mess it is. I started pruning it last year and gave up because it really looks like an octopus. It is very healthy but nothing else. Before I get too heavy handed with it, I was looking for suggestions. Sorry, picture quality is not great. IMG_2694.JPGIMG_2695.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yep, looks like an octopus.
Which is a style, more often used in Penjing than Bonsai, but could be made to work. If there were not so many straight segments of branches.

I think if it were mine, I would feed the beast well, and just let it grow. Now that sun can get into the interior, let it grow a couple years, see where back buds pop.

At the next opportunity to repot I would get a good look at the nebari, see if there is an angle other than vertical, that would make sense. Taking the trunk line off vertical will help with deciding what needs to stay or go.

For the moment I see no tree here. Future growth, future buds might give you some options. Clearly the double branches on the right are not both going to be needed, consider getting rid of the less interesting branch.

Other than give I time, I don't have much of an idea.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Leo. Pretty much what I was thinking. Take off the one branch and let it grow a year or two. Thanks.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Well I can see a multi-trunk tree there. Those 4 branches growing at the ground level could be wired to go more upwards with some flowing motion and create tops from the foliage they have. You'd eliminate the main trunk all together. Not typical for mugo but...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With these you need to be able to see what it can be.
A lot of times it isn't what you first think it should be.
Can't tell too good from the pictures but in the first photo I would be thinking of using the big branch pointing right as the main trunk line.
Maybe get rid of everything else
I would need the tree in front of me to tell for sure.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I can see a multi-trunk tree there. Those 4 branches growing at the ground level could be wired to go more upwards with some flowing motion and create tops from the foliage they have. You'd eliminate the main trunk all together. Not typical for mugo but...
Thank you, I will look at it that way and see how I feel. It is an interesting idea.
With these you need to be able to see what it can be.
A lot of times it isn't what you first think it should be.
Can't tell too good from the pictures but in the first photo I would be thinking of using the big branch pointing right as the main trunk line.
Maybe get rid of everything else
I would need the tree in front of me to tell for sure.
Also have considered this but not sure. It may get minimal pruning and sit another year. Thank you for your input. I understand about having the tree in hand.

Top Bottom