Odd leaves

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey all, my newly transplanted akebono cherry tree has these weird black tips that curl upwards, it's not a bonsai yet as I've planted it in the ground, is it just transplant shock? It's been watered very generously daily just want to know what is happening.20190606_171721.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Watering daily maybe too much for a tree in the ground, unless you've planted it with fast draining substrates. But maybe it's needed where you live?

In my area, cherries can be susceptible to a lot of fungal issues. It could your explain the black tips. Also, don't water the foliage if you can help it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Watering foliage doesn't present problems and keeps spiders and mites down. Unless you have bad air circulation and not enough sun which can cause other problems, too. Brown tips almost always means the soil is too wet. Trees in the ground should be watered about the same as turf grasses. Remember: wet dry wet dry wet dry. Drought is different than dry for most of a day.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Its almost certainly transplant shock from being planted out so late! was it a bare root or container grown?

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
You could mulch it around the base to reduce evaporation and suppress weeds. It might help to give it some protection from midday sun till it gets established and dont over-water. The leaf tip browning doesnt look that serious.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it HAD those leaves during transplant you can call it shock.

If not, its something else. A tree won't grow a leaf it knows it will brown.

Unless you dug a hole in solid clay that doesn't drain water, it's not overwatered.
Overhumid, which may be caused by the excess water maybe, but not overwatered.

Sorce

Top Bottom