Odd Serrisa root work progression

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I call it an odd Serissa not because it is uncommon but because most people do not consider variegated plants in Bonsai as many tend to be slow growing. I find this plant does not grow slowly in ANY aspect and it needs a lot of attention unless one wants a landscape bush :oops:

I received and started working this one in 2015. It was 18 - 22 inches or so from the trunk line to the top and sided to side. First step was to reduce the overall size a lot and thin it rather rudely.

Here it is last year after a year of constant cutting back, thinning, and sucker removal. During that time I started to expose the roots a bit, overall pretty "rough" looking -

IMG_0553.JPG

This past Spring it went into a trainer after sawing off all but a 1 inch pad of root. I had been raising and hardening off the roots exposing them more bi-weekly for the year preceding.
This is the base on the 24th of last month while cleaning and reducing the height more -

IMG_1184.JPG

The following month was basically spent cutting the top and branches back weekly. This past weekend I decided to spend long time raising the game a bit by exposing the roots another 1/ 2 inch upwards and spreading them out to harden off. The fine stuff will be cleaned away if it does not fatten at the next lift in 2 weeks. Currently they are 4 inches wide exposed and the trunk line is 1 1/2 inches across -

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

I also reduced the height once again to 8 inches from the trunk line and did a heavy pruning to promote more lower branching. I expect it to grow like a weed(normal) and give me an opportunity for a first light wiring -

IMG_1293.JPG

They grow at a fast rate and if this one continues so I should be able to manage a low, wide Southern Live Oak design over the next 12 months. It will then go into a Octagonal or Hexagonal pot allowing about an inch or so around the edges of the raised root - I figure I can get a width of 5 inches root in that time raised 2 1/2 inches more.

Grimmy

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
fast one...

Especially if the final design is Live Oak. I need not organize each heavy root just extend them out naturally. Then nearing the finish line I can fill in the gaps with substrate, some moss, to separate them and enhance them giving the whole base a Southern Natural look. I have started some more and will experiment with a uniform pancake root system in a couple of years but with a mounded broom style.
I have started similar to this one with a Cotoneaster and Satsuki a few weeks back as well. They will provide a bit of a challenge but I see certain species as doable over the past several years. ;)

Grimmy

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the serrisa, variegated too! I agree that the grow like crazy. The base on this one is awesome, very powerful! I will be getting a new serissa eventually, for more winter entertainment.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love the serrisa, variegated too! I agree that the grow like crazy. The base on this one is awesome, very powerful! I will be getting a new serissa eventually, for more winter entertainment.

TY! Crystal has a lot of plants that go into the plant room for Winter while I normally only kept outdoor plants/trees. Winter was pretty boring for me plant wise and these sure changed that a bit :eek: I am also trying eight other plants this year for Winter indoors as starters to learn them. Should be a far more interesting Winter here for certain :)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One week after cutting it back quite a bit there is a lot of new growth to work with or cut away as I anticipated. In this picture I noticed that most of the new leaf is solid green, goes to a white edge in a couple of days, then goes to green again as they get larger :confused:

IMG_1296.JPG

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's an amazing amount of growth in 10 days.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's an amazing amount of growth in 10 days.

The plant itself is 3 years and 2 months old from a cutting - crazy I think. As did John offer in another thread I will have a couple of cuttings available in early Spring if they Winter ok. The best chance of future survival up North if done so. I will copy and paste my notes and send them along for a guideline. Mileage varies with all of them but this type seems to be well adapted.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The plant itself is 3 years and 2 months old from a cutting - crazy I think. As did John offer in another thread I will have a couple of cuttings available in early Spring if they Winter ok. The best chance of future survival up North if done so. I will copy and paste my notes and send them along for a guideline. Mileage varies with all of them but this type seems to be well adapted.

Grimmy
That's a very generous offer, but I have a bad track record with them, would hate to give them a death sentence. :eek:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's a very generous offer, but I have a bad track record with them, would hate to give them a death sentence. :eek:

They would be acclimated and complete with Northern "destructions" - Keep in mind the one in this post is the only survivor of 13! Took me awhile but I am pretty certain you would have success.

Grimmy

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very nice tree!!!! and damn it's growing fast!!!

It's growing Florida Fast! So nice when they progress quickly though!

I haven't been into them too much but after seeing this one I think I'm gonna keep an eye out for one :)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice tree!!!! and damn it's growing fast!!!

It's growing Florida Fast! So nice when they progress quickly though!

I haven't been into them too much but after seeing this one I think I'm gonna keep an eye out for one :)

It takes a few extra minor steps to keep them up here but nothing fancy or complicated. From what I have seen in AL if you trim them(they need it frequently) and the cuttings drop to the ground most grow and quickly ;) More a weed like plant there for certain but on a serious note - get cuttings - as I stated earlier this one was a simple cutting 3 years and 2 months ago and I am far more Northern.

Grimmy

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It takes a few extra minor steps to keep them up here but nothing fancy or complicated. From what I have seen in AL if you trim them(they need it frequently) and the cuttings drop to the ground most grow and quickly ;) More a weed like plant there for certain but on a serious note - get cuttings - as I stated earlier this one was a simple cutting 3 years and 2 months ago and I am far more Northern.

Grimmy

I will definitely take cuttings. I need a "cuttings set up." I really see the future value in keeping cuttings and I currently try and keep as many as I can, but lose most due to improper set up. Like yours here a few years...even 10 years isn't that long...and in regards to cuttings, you will have endless nice material!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will definitely take cuttings. I need a "cuttings set up." I really see the future value in keeping cuttings and I currently try and keep as many as I can, but lose most due to improper set up. Like yours here a few years...even 10 years isn't that long...and in regards to cuttings, you will have endless nice material!

PM me there will be more in Spring ;)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This past Spring it went into a trainer after sawing off all but a 1 inch pad of root.

At that point I took off 2 to 3 inches of the fine roots at the base and a few inches off the sides to fit it in the pot.

The type of training pot I used allows me to cut rectangle of pot screen that offers about a 1/4 inch of air space below it. Over that I placed 1/2 inch of Permatil(high fired slate) and the plant with perhaps an inch of fine roots.

Since then in one season I raised the roots a LOT and scraped away layer after layer of substrate.

What is keeping it alive? The new fine feeders that grew through the slate and screen - yesterday no deeper then one inch but growing out and back into the bottom -

IMG_1320.JPG

Yesterday after 2 years of extensive root work and major cutbacks I think my overall plan is in the right direction. NOWHERE near finished but happy and healthy - For reference it is no taller then 8 inches from the trunk line which is 1 1/2 inches.

IMG_1346.JPG

Grimmy

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Another 8 days closer to Cold nights but still growing crazy -

IMG_1371.JPG

Preparing for it to come indoors in a few weeks. From here until Spring when back outdoors it will be clip and grow. Also packed in the roots I exposed with my Nursery mix until then when I will expose them again. I expect the roots to be fatter and spread wider then and will decide where to take it at that point. Pretty certain I will have plenty of feeders but I want a fuller wider spread then I showed earlier. For the next few months this will do -

IMG_1370.JPG

Should be fun to discover what lays beneath in the Spring :)

Grimmy

Top Bottom