oddirt's Azalea 2020-2025 Contest Entry

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This entry is late to the party but I was breech-born and came into the world late, so it's just how I roll šŸ£. This little one in a 1 gallon can is a western azalea (Rhododendron occidentale), a native from the California Floristic Province that grows nearby. Category is Leggy-Shrubby Realness.
IMG_4474_1.jpg

There's a post on deciduous azalea techniques where some notes on this species were posted. Check out the pics of the species growing in one of its diverse native habitats alongside carnivorous plants in a sphagnum bog. This one is from up the coast, a park called Stagecoach Hill, and grown out at California Flora Nursery. The flowers are sublime. Here's one planted in my garden but from a different locale, so the flowers on my entry will end up looking different.
IMG_2284.JPG

I've scoured the web and haven't seen that anyone has worked with this species for bonsai before. Given its unique natural conditions, some of the usual horticultural techniques may not apply. These aren't as vigorous as ones in the horticultural trade, so I'm going to go slowly and steadily with any work. I made a first cut on the larger branch above a leaf just to be safe. If I get more buds further down, then I'll cut the straight section shorter. The tiny bit of wire is there to hold a sacrifice branch in a position to get better light.
IMG_4567.JPG

It's been slip potted up into a 3 gallon for the next couple years of growth. Even though they've grown slowly in my landscape, I'll be experimenting with soils and fertilizing regimens on other plants I have to see if they respond vigorously to bonsai culture. Notes on those experiments will be posted in the deciduous azalea techniques thread.

Design-wise, I'll be drawing from what I've seen of them in nature, working with its natural habit and not forcing it into a form that doesn't fit. Not sure how just yet, but maybe the design will keep presenting itself. General comments are welcome but I'd be especially happy for design feedback from folks who've seen these in nature or have cultivated these.

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome aboard the contest!

Thatā€™s a looker! It used to be our mountains on the Olympic peninsula were covered with similar azaleas and it was a wonder to drive there. Not so much now.

Iā€˜m sure our contest head honcho will check in with you soon, but I wanted to be the first to welcome you. šŸ˜Š

cheers and good luck!
DSD sends

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Welcome aboard the contest!

Thatā€™s a looker! It used to be our mountains on the Olympic peninsula were covered with similar azaleas and it was a wonder to drive there. Not so much now.

Iā€˜m sure our contest head honcho will check in with you soon, but I wanted to be the first to welcome you. šŸ˜Š

cheers and good luck!
DSD sends

Thanks for the warm welcome, DSD! I had read their range went up into Oregon but didn't know they're way up in your neck of the woods, too. Pray that it lives to the age of 5. :)

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your are correct, ours is similar, and is our state flower, the Pacific Rhododendron (R. macrophyllum). It is sometimes called the California Rhododendron, or California Rosebay. It has a range of color morphs.

We will pray together.
Cheers DSD sends
E4D96618-230A-4CA6-8556-9C40D4056859.jpeg3BA33F6B-69AE-474C-ABB1-E82200E7BED0.jpeg

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
LOL, I was totally asking for that. Now, how to glue tiny plastic leaves onto those twigs...

I don't know. . . Deciduous means leaves changing into all sorts of different hues, striking winter silhouettes, etc. - basically all sorts of aesthetic possibilities. Maybe instead of being *given* bonus points, people using those trees should spot some bonus points to those of us stuck with measly evergreens. . .<g>

- Mike

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I don't know. . . Deciduous means leaves changing into all sorts of different hues, striking winter silhouettes, etc. - basically all sorts of aesthetic possibilities. Maybe instead of being *given* bonus points, people using those trees should spot some bonus points to those of us stuck with measly evergreens. . .<g>

- Mike

Agreed! The deciduous have pros and cons. Most people are used to seeing or working with evergreen azaleas in the bonsai community with their tiny leaves and dense foliage.

The main challenge is that those of us working with deciduous donā€™t have the benefit of centuries of experience guiding us on how theyā€™ll respond to basic bonsai cultureā€”things like trimming, fertilizing, bonsai soil types, etc. This thread has all the gory details: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/deciduous-azalea-techniques.39336/#post-663690

Iā€™m not going to shy away from a good challenge but this thing wonā€™t look like an evergreen, for sure! Heck, I think Charlie Brownā€™s xmas tree was pretty fierce but that makes me an outlier here. Maybe Iā€™ll trade you one of these for one of yours. :)

F42D26D3-1C19-456F-B90A-3FBE1E6334C2.jpeg

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You do realize you cut down a very good whip? I just spent 3-4 years growing many whips for a recent class and I don't think any of mine were better than yours.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WOWee, I agree. With that large leaves and flowers, it should be grown large and tall.

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You do realize you cut down a very good whip? I just spent 3-4 years growing many whips for a recent class and I don't think any of mine were better than yours.

Oh no! I donā€™t know what the whip style ends up looking likeā€”is it like a literati form? I have a couple others that Iā€™m holding onto in case this one dies, and one of them is very whip-like.

Iā€™ve seen some posts about whips here but havenā€™t found good examples of what they look like in their final form. I saw this post on Jonasā€™s blog but was scratching my head after I read it.

Is the idea to get an interesting wired form then let it thicken? I wasnā€™t sure if there would be enough time to develop it for the five year contest. Any advice on developing a tree from a whip would be appreciated!

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
From a whip(usually a pre-bonsai, but sometimes they grow naturally like yours), most of the popular styles are possible. If you can find the Naka/Rokkaku/Ota publication, Bonsai Techniques for Satsuki, it is a wonderful step by step workshop guide for styling - mostly whips. It even gets down to the suggested wire sizes. After removing the initial wiring( usually < 12 mo.), the best way to increase girth is to repot it in progressively larger containers or plant it in the ground. Five years is at least two repots, and the results should be very presentable. The Naka book also has a short chapter on clump style(Kabudachi). I mention this because I have not seen any of the contestants go that route despite the fact that the material that is being selected almost begs for that style. I am attaching a couple of photos of azaleas that started out as whips. If you have trouble finding this book, please contact me.

Attachments

• P1000526.JPG
    P1000526.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P1020140.JPG
    P1020140.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 6

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They grow cuttings into whips in greenhouses for 2 reasons.

1) Azalea are basically dominant, so growing a single trunk-line sets it up to be tree-like immediately.
2) Azalea are very brittle. So you have to wire up the trunk early to get movement. Growing it very quickly under greenhouse conditions will allow you to wire it up in one go.

This way, people can buy a whip and style it themselves after buying. They can wire the entire trunk just before it gets too brittle. So they get to decide the esign their bonsai just after buying it. Then it is easy to just grow it out. This makes things simple and you won't have a continuous battle against the plant-habit of the azalea.

So it is actually not about literati in that case.

But that is for evergreen ones, specially satsuki in Japan.

I was surprised to see a deciduous azalea with so many low branches. Yeah, flowers are large so a tall plant is often smart. but would it have budded back on that bald part? Then, maybe it would have had to be a literati style?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this seasonā€™s flushā€¦ā€¦itā€™s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

Top Bottom