Oenothera -

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just thought that i would initiate a thread documenting my work with evening primroses as accent plants of varying degrees.

I only have 5 at the moment, (and two are gifts, so three, essentially.) However I still have a mass of seeds available and can see my projects extending FAR beyond these three, as I am QUITE enamored with Oenethera as a whole.

So these are the triplets.. i will be separating them from their “seed tray” in the next few days.

C2245C14-FFC3-4182-87D4-3DB3C8FC6760.jpeg

I’m not sure if this is a common practice.. i just really enjoy evening primrose.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The more I consider the mentioned separation.. the more my “gut” feels “torn”

They almost need to stay together...

Three Ladies of the Primrose Evening...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My “work” with these plants has proved more satisfying than I anticipated...

3510C734-6F57-41BC-B8BC-F32B6DF72F71.jpeg2F35D717-79DA-49EF-98D5-61AA38A89F4A.jpeg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
pretty cool. i know a lot of plants are, but this looks like one i had growing in my yard and i looked it up and it came back as extremely toxic to animals and humans? it forms berries sometimes? looks like tobacco plant when grown out?

i might have the plant wrong, or i have a pic of the one i mean ill check it soon

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...Going for a new record in "Species Inappropriate For Bonsai". (Sorry, no gold or silver here, only bronze, brass and aluminum)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
20200729_201826.jpg
i did some research on that and it seemed more severe than normal for toxicity - is that what you have going? i thought they mentioned these berry in my pic

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
View attachment 322693
Here’s a close(er) up of the leaves...

Not sure.. mine is the common “evening primrose”

🤓
i looked up primrose and those are neat, i think the one i referenced is american pokeweed or phytolacca

good luck with your primrose, very cool

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
i looked up primrose and those are neat, i think the one i referenced is american pokeweed or phytolacca

good luck with your primrose, very cool

Thank you!.. it started as “free seeds”... then I kind of fell in love with them.

Should prove to (eventually) be some fairly visually-striking accent pieces... I hope.. 😬

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
pretty cool. i know a lot of plants are, but this looks like one i had growing in my yard and i looked it up and it came back as extremely toxic to animals and humans? it forms berries sometimes? looks like tobacco plant when grown out?

i might have the plant wrong, or i have a pic of the one i mean ill check it soon

I believe you have the wrong plant. Oenothera are generally not poisonous. The plant that is pictured here is most likely Oenothera biennis. Their leaves are considerably smaller than tobacco, probably 1/10th the size or smaller than tobacco. Evening primrose is one of the common name, but look up the Genus name Oenothera and look up their chemical properties. Primrose oil has been a home remedy for hundreds of years in EU and North America. THere is some debate as to whether the use of Evening Primrose Oil extracted from seed is safe for persons using blood thinners. It has been used as a food plant, a potherb, by Native Americans. While there is some concern that as a medicinal plant it is a "Cure without a Disease", there is little evidence of it killing anyone. A cure without a disease is a way of saying nobody is really sure what "good it does" when consumed as a medicine. But obviously its not killing people or it would be listed as poisonous.

Anyway, don't trust Photo Recognition Apps, they often are wildly wrong.

Now tobacco is indeed a poisonous plant. Eating tobacco leaves can indeed kill a person, the amount needed to be consumed for death varies with the nicotine content.

Top Bottom