Of Toads and other Pets

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had a contender for the world record, missed it by 7 months for longevity, a South American Boa. It ate only fresh lively Holtzman 235 rats for the 18+ years I had it - not pretty just nature, it would not take food other then live.

I was banned from another site for several months for showing pictures of people butchering Chow Chow Puppies for dinner when I was overseas... Turns out I had one as my best friend ever for 16 years, best dog ever :)

Point is location and other factors have a lot to do with mindset. Tree Spiders deep fried for example taste great.

Grimmy
I am disgusted yet intrigued. I’m dying to hear the backstories of these instances but may not actually want to know?

Reminds me of a guest preacher we have once in a while, I believe he is Filipino, who made a stereotype joke about eating dog in his country and the congregation laughed, then he was like no I’m serious I’ve really eaten dog. It was funny and unexpected, but I’m sure it made some of the uptight ones upset haha.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was just a frozen rat
I used to raise my own rats and rabbits for my snakes. I would stun the rats with a steel bar before tossing them in. My boa got a hold of one that tried to turn the tables on her because she didn't get it by the head. It about took out her eye. After that I smacked them in the head before tossing them in. If the snake didn't eat it,it went into the freezer. I used the dead frozen rats for power feeding my Burmese python.
When your snake gets large enough to eat rabbits,you can give them to the snake fully alive because they dont fight back at all but just give up.
Do you have a large water dish in with your boa? All of my boas pooped in the pool. Making clean up much easier. They like to be in water so I used a bathing tub used for human babies for their water source. Setting on a piece of plate glass on top of a waterbed heater. The glass spreads out the heat in a larger area.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have a large water dish in with your boa?

No...kinda amazed at the setup my guy had her in with such great health.
Small dish. No dedicated heat.

I had a great large corner dish before for mine....

Thinking bout making one!

I didn't want to shock her so I'm trying to "acclimate" her, kinda keeping ot the same....

But that big rat and the recent, (not the 60F of today:eek:) cold is surely showing signs adjustments are needed.

I cant wait to hook it up.

I want to build a stupid huge joint I can plant my tropicals in and tend all in one.

I'd rather have carpet than that sawdust.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't want to shock her so I'm trying to "acclimate" her, kinda keeping ot the same....
Reptiles are very susceptible to respiratory infections. Brought on by cold temps. Not only do they need bottom heat to help digest food but the air needs to be warm too. 80 degrees is about optimal.
Also,keep the bottom of the enclosure dry. I used indoor/outdoor carpet on the bottom of my enclosures. A snake laying on wet with wet will get belly rot. The scales start to die off. I learned the hard way. I bought a 10 foot male Burmese to go with my female. He had a little belly rot. It's no fun trying to inject penicillin in a medium sized snake. It's cold and they do not like it.
Also. I don't know if you feed on a schedule but snakes will eat more than you think. And can overeat and get fat. Exercise them. Handle them as much as possible. Put some kind of tree or branch in there for it to climb on and hang out on.
Always move the snake with a hooked stick before you reach in. They don't have eyelids so it's hard to tell when they're asleep. That way you don't get bit if you startle it.
Always take out rodents if the snake doesn't eat it right away. If not they may start eating the snake.
Once the snake reaches a little over 6 feet look into rabbits for food. You need to offer appropriate sized food. They don't like to expend the energy on 4 rats when 1 bunny will do the trick.
When it's eyes turn blue signalling shedding is coming,give the snake soaks. It will help to get the skin off in one piece. That way it doesn't come off in patches. Skin left on is itchy and messes with the new skin. The important thing to watch for when the snake sheds is to make sure it comes off of the eye. It can stay on and a build up will blind the snake. That bit of skin is a bitch to get off too.
Man. I need another snake!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We just got a little pony..:DView attachment 180343

Are you Serious!? I will most definitely drink to that!

You must Really Really love those trees From @milehigh_7 ! Lol!
If you put one in A Dale Cochoy pot I'm gonna die!

That is too wicked!

Aquarium= river in a tank

Hell yeah! I found this at an apartment building I used to work at!20180321_123855.jpg

Sold as an upright 5ft x 7.5inches...the included air pump filtration just didnt have the power to push into that pressure...
Genius right!

I had it hooked up for a while....

I'm putting it in a wall in my house, capped and modified to go sideways.
Found This last year...20180321_124549_Burst01.jpg

Free on free badassness!

Fittin to keep the few khakis I have left in it...
And maybe some other small river loaches.

Sorce

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll have to look and see if we have any pictures of our assorted critters and varmints. Used to have a nice aquarium set up back in Texas. Most of the fish did not survive the drive up here or the homeless interim. My brother is many things, but a skilled fishkeeper is not one of them.

Honest, properly done and spiced you could serve a human and nobody would know, kind of freaky but true.
You wouldn't even have to try really hard. We're remarkably similar to pork. I can't tell the difference between burn victim smell and barbecue pork smell.

Last edited:

JakeH

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m not too fond of insects either but that guy is awesome! Is he an orchid mantis? Where did you get it?
It is an orchid mantis! And I just found someone last year who was selling nymphs and just decided to buy one, and I'm glad I did! They're really interesting to watch, especially when they eat

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks pretty personable, for an arthropod. How aggressive is it towards fingers?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is an orchid mantis! And I just found someone last year who was selling nymphs and just decided to buy one, and I'm glad I did! They're really interesting to watch, especially when they eat
Super cool. I don’t know anything about them but can they bite or anything? The other problem with insects in general is they dont live too long, I believe I read they only make it a bit less than a year. Regardless I’d love to add one to my paludarium when I get it set up.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Super cool. I don’t know anything about them but can they bite or anything? The other problem with insects in general is they dont live too long, I believe I read they only make it a bit less than a year. Regardless I’d love to add one to my paludarium when I get it set up.
How big is your paludarium? A breeding colony might be tenable, especially if you stock some prey species.

JakeH

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks pretty personable, for an arthropod. How aggressive is it towards fingers?
Surprisingly, not aggressive at all. I have yet to meet a mantis that wasn't just chill towards people (unless it's a wild one and it gets defensive or something)

JakeH

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm sure they can, but I've never worried about it. They're surprisingly gentle, and most they'd do to humans is taste your hand or something. And their lifespan is a bummer, but it's fun to watch them grow and develop quickly.

And if you do include them in a paludarium, I'd limit it to just the one you said. Add more than one and they may eat each other! (unless they're ghost mantises- I believe they may live communally, and look cool too)

Top Bottom