Of Toads and other Pets

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm sure they can, but I've never worried about it. They're surprisingly gentle, and most they'd do to humans is taste your hand or something. And their lifespan is a bummer, but it's fun to watch them grow and develop quickly.

And if you do include them in a paludarium, I'd limit it to just the one you said. Add more than one and they may eat each other! (unless they're ghost mantises- I believe they may live communally, and look cool too)
I actually haven’t set it up yet, it’s only in the planning stages as of yet. It’s a huge undertaking that requires a lot of thought to prevent mold, fungus, health of plants and fish, etc.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Awesome orchid mantis, I'm planning on getting one later this year. Right now I have two baby spiny mantis, they are pretty cool to watch. Can't wait until they grow and get their pretty adult colors.

Attachments

• RC9m2RY.jpg
    RC9m2RY.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 27

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome orchid mantis, I'm planning on getting one later this year. Right now I have two baby spiny mantis, they are pretty cool to watch. Can't wait until they grow and get their pretty adult colors.
Very cool. I've never seen a mantis covered in spines. Just the wild ones in the pastures during the summers which can get huge.

I don't keep any insects. This is Casey, Skye, and Bishop:
20171106_085141.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yesterday the neighbor removed an overgrown hedge. Overnight these two Doves started filling the outdoor light with twigs, seems they were displaced...

IMG_1868.JPG

Seeing that it could become very messy I put a bulb pot in it, removed the twigs from the light and they have been filling the bulb pot all morning -

IMG_1872.JPG

Seems we have new friends :p

Grimmy

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yesterday the neighbor removed an overgrown hedge. Overnight these two Doves started filling the outdoor light with twigs, seems they were displaced...

View attachment 189036

Seeing that it could become very messy I put a bulb pot in it, removed the twigs from the light and they have been filling the bulb pot all morning -

View attachment 189037

Seems we have new friends :p

Grimmy
My wife adopted the house sparrows that nest on our patio. She calls them "pudge-butts."

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seems the Doves that "moved" into the pot I put in the light for them in post #248 will be around for awhile, took this picture earlier when I saw them flush from it -

IMG_1892.JPG

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yesterday Evening I noticed for the first time since the eggs showed up both Adults were nowhere in sight. Investigated and sure enough they hatched. I must admit though they look nothing like a Dove - rather "rough" :p

IMG_1916.JPG

Grimmy

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
My society finches have 3 babies, the middle one is quite tame. They haven't left the nest yet but I've been taking him out for exercise.

My cute little puppy has turned into a 50lb hyper lap dog. When he does stop moving, this is the position he can usually be found in

Attachments

• 20180627_112257.jpg
    20180627_112257.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180612_191136.jpg
    20180612_191136.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 17

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Heard two more new Doves tapping around earlier, could never tell they will be a good looking bird in a couple of weeks :p

IMG_2149.JPG

Grimmy

Top Bottom