Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet!
Good looking boa from what I can see in the picture.
I had a nice one once.
It was a female also.

Mission Number one......

Make her a perch between the garage and the spruce from where she can greet the VC!

Hasn't come out yet... but the cage is fresh and her eyes are clear.

I'm too psyched!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It's a red-tailed boa. A light one. A she one!

My daughter can't wait to hold it...but it must be fed, and reacclimated to handling!

She's gonna get bit!
And she will Probly enjoy it!

Sorce
I believe it's a Colombian red tailed boa. They aren't quite as big or richly colored as the Peruvian red tails, but they are also supposedly better natured. Females can still approach 10 feet long and 20 plus pounds when mature. I had a male for almost 10 years, and he was a good one.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce red tail boa...cool snake. The idea of needing two-four handlers at feeding when mature is what kept that one off my list for deciding factor of the snake we chose. That rule of thumb for every two feet once past 6'...an additional handler is needed had me skiddish. But they are a beautiful snake!

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe it's a Colombian red tailed boa. They aren't quite as big or richly colored as the Peruvian red tails, but they are also supposedly better natured. Females can still approach 10 feet long and 20 plus pounds when mature. I had a male for almost 10 years, and he was a good one.
I had one. 12 feet long. The record is 18 1/2.
I saw a 14 footer once.
And they do get quite bulky.
Mine was maybe 60 lbs.
At 6 years old.
My daughter can't wait to hold it...but it must be fed, and reacclimated to handling!
Young ones tend to be biters.
Have her put one of her shirts that she's worn for a few days in the enclosure. It helps the snake familiarize with the smell of her being around all of the time.
Make sure she washes her hands after touching the rats.
It may not look like food but it sure smells like it.
Gloves at first. But it should calm down in just a few minutes.
I built a hook to move it around in the enclosure and to let it know it would be handled.
I grabbed it once when it was sleeping and startled it.
It let out a hiss like the air nozzle on a compressor. Loud.
Boas are also one of the fastest striking snakes.
Faster than a rattler and can strike half of their body length.
And strong. Very strong.
Before I sold her back to the reptile dealer when I moved she was eating rabbits.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
20150329_194234.jpg Pete is a 13 year old axolotl. Hand raised him since he was 8 weeks old. He's about 14 inches long. My little buddy.

20150329_193747.jpg this is Geist. She is a GFP axoltl, which means she glows under blacklight. She's 8 now, and about 7 inches.

People don't expect salamanders to be personable, but these two are a hoot.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same with this one, it was a train wreck at the rescue and a bit nasty, they asked me several times before I took her if I was "certain" and I finally just said "Listen - this poor dog needs a good home. She looked awful and bit everyone but was sleeping on my shoulder in the truck when I pulled in the driveway. My Wife gave a look like "geesh" but now the dog is healthy and likes everyone. Day 1 (you will agree she was a wreck) - They were about to put her down in Philly when the rescue snatched her with rib and hip bones bulging...

View attachment 101370

Grimmy

You are a Good person:D!

Top Bottom