Off to my Bonsai nursery what shall I buy?

Jinjihan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all just got some cash and a day off so I'm going to the bonsai nursery to select new trees I have pictures of my current bonsai on my profile. This is just for fun but please give reasons for the choices to suggest and if you have favourites please state why. If all goes well should make for an interesting thread for newbs like myself thanks!

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. No real advice on a species. Find something that catches your eye that you're confident you can keep healthy. Also, I'd recommend asking the folks there all sorts of questions about whatever you pick (assuming they're not overly busy) - full sun? when was it last repotted? any special care or training advice? etc. The staff at all of the nurseries I've been too have been wonderfully nice and helpful. Let us know how it goes.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How about a collected English Hawthorn? I'm a big advocate of growing what grows well in the area, and Peter Warren calls hawthorns "God's gift to British Bonsai". My locally-collected hawthorns do very well...reliable and forgiving. Enjoy the trip!

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't buy trees. Buy one tree with a really big trunk with great nebari

Jinjihan

Seedling
Reaction score
I do like the sound of English Hawthorne, and I suspect that the nursery keeper will have a tree or two in stock. I do like the idea of having a big chunky tree, but want to have input early on, and instead buy raw material for working on. I have spent a lot of time studying Chinese martial arts, and one problem that we westerners have is they tend to want to rush everything. I myself being westerner also have this unfortunate mindset so I do try, and study Chinese arts as they do "ish"!
Having said all that it would be nice to have a mature tree in my collection!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... and one problem that we westerners have is they tend to want to rush everything.
Nothing wrong with attaining your goal faster. Why waste time? BTW, I am Asian and I have that mindset. ;)

Jinjihan

Seedling
Reaction score
I am hoping to find a forest clearance event in my area soon as the new forest is just down the road so maybe able to collect some wild trees legally fingers crossed!

Top Bottom