Office Bonsai - Brussel's Golden Gate Ficus

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So we recently got moved to a new section in the building where I work and we have this big window that has perfect light! I noticed it looked too bare, so I went ahead and decided to have a nice pleasant "indoor" bonsai type perfect for it.
Settled on a Brussel's Golden Gate Ficus. wired it out as well to give it a nice shape. It is simple and cookie cutter, but I don't mind, and my coworkers who know nothing about bonsai are already wow'ed and love it.

I may add a houseplant as kusamono but undecided. any opinions and thoughts are welcome!

sprinkled some osmocote as well for fertilier. the bonsai pot is not bound to rock tray so it will not be soaked within it. just for humidity tray to catch water run-off.

I also love the back drop with the loblolly (i think???) pine and the oaks as a backdrop :) .

Attachments

• GGFicusP.jpg
    GGFicusP.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 59
  • GGFicusL.jpg
    GGFicusL.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 56

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
hmm yes.. I'd have to get permission but anything's possible.. or do the silicon valley mantra " move fast and break things". or the " better to ask forgiveness than permission" haha

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
this tree is taking off like a weed! loves the bright morning sunlight and mostly afternoon shade. more than anything, the warmth coming next from the window i think is also a reason why it likes this spot. the humidity tray is great to have to catch the water and not make a mess at the office. all my coworkers are impressed and someone commented they felt more peaceful when walking in the room with the bonsai in display. here are some progress shots. i pruned it back to growing tips closer to the trunk to chase back the foliage in order to get more ramification and smaller leaves. eventually reaching more refining and using defoliation later on. one thing at a time though lol.
The crown is also starting to ramify quite nice and develop a more full apex.
enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_6882.jpg
    IMG_6882.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6881.jpg
    IMG_6881.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6879.jpg
    IMG_6879.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6880.jpg